cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork’s New Service Fees - Rolled Out !!

i_sulga
Ace Contributor
Irina S Member Since: Jun 21, 2016
71 of 326

The new fees is ROBBERY! 

neil-delgado
Neil D Member Since: Jun 12, 2016
72 of 326

TO PEOPLE WHO RUN THIS COMPANY: 

Upwork (formerly Odesk) happens to be the best freelance platform, but what happened?  Every ounce of effort we put into your business benefits you directly. How could you be so selfish for not thinking about those freelancers earning below $500??? The saddest part here is, YOU DON'T REALLY CARE AS LONG AS YOU GET THE BENEFIT THAT YOU WANT!!! I find it frustrating that no one seems to listen to our opinions and do anything else at the same time.. IS THIS THE WAY YOU RESPOND TO FREELANCERS' LOYALTY??? STOP fooling us with the statement that this new changes will make the freelancer experience "so much better". Everyone is in business to make money, I understand. But If you keep getting greedy you scare away good workers. 

P.S I wouldn't be surprised if I get banned from this community forum for daring to criticize your business decisions, 'cause that's what you always do. 

garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
73 of 326

Hi Neil,

I understand the emotion but will reiterate this decision isn't being driven by greed. We've answered this many times over so I won't restate it in this discussion.

Also, I will remind you that clients are getting work done here and freelancers are getting paid. It's entirely untrue for either of us to say that, "Every ounce of effort we put into your business benefits you directly." 

We're not going to ban you for being critical of this decision. However, we won't allow repeated negative posts, nor posts that violate our Community Guidelines. That will warrant a ban. Take a look around these forums and you'll see other posts/replies that may not agree with us from time-to-time. 

Thanks.

mzsonet
Ace Contributor
Mahfuz A S Member Since: Jun 14, 2016
74 of 326

Hello Good People, 

May be you are already notified about Upwork's New Fee. So I just wanted to know how you feel or think about New Fee structure? Is it worthy or not?

original.png

Thanks 

Mahfuz A Sonet

adilbinmahmood
Adil M Member Since: Feb 25, 2016
75 of 326

I am still confused about this new fees structure. Can anybody expain this to me.

Is it valid for all jobs I have worked on so far or only those contracts I get after this structure applies?

If I get new contract of $1000 then I will receive $900 or $850?

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
76 of 326

Hi Adil,

The new pricing structure applies to all new contracts created after it's rolled out today. If you get a new contract worth $1000, a blended fee will apply. It means that 20% fee will apply to first $500 and 10% will apply to the rest. 

Note, that if you have worked with this client before and they have paid you more than $500 on previous contracts, 10% will apply. Similarly, if they have paid you more than $10000, $5 fee will apply.

~ Valeria
Upwork
stewartmegan
Megan S Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
77 of 326

It's only valid on new contracts. If you get a $1,000 contract, they will take 20% or $200 which means you only get $800.  And that doesn't change until you get a new client and are able to bill that same client for over $10,000.  No fee reduction of 5% for existing clients. It has to be a new client.  And apparently it can't be an enterprise client--I don't even know what that means.

Don't care--I started working other platforms as soon as they announced they were considering this pricing change. I will only be here until my existing contracts are completed. 

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
78 of 326

@Megan S wrote:

It's only valid on new contracts. If you get a $1,000 contract, they will take 20% or $200 which means you only get $800.  And that doesn't change until you get a new client and are able to bill that same client for over $10,000.  No fee reduction of 5% for existing clients. It has to be a new client.  And apparently it can't be an enterprise client--I don't even know what that means.

@Megan S wrote:

According to the new policy the fee reduction on clients that have paid you over $10,000 is only for NEW contracts not existing contracts. So how are your fees being cut in half for most of the work you do?

Or do you get special treatment as a "community guru"??

I'm sorry Megan, but this is not how the new pricing is applied. A lower 5% will be applied to all clients with whom you billed over $10,000 across all contracts you’ve ever had with them.

Also note that the fee for the example contract you shared is incorrect. For a $1,000 contract with a new client, the fee for first $500 would be 20% and for the second $500 a 10% fee would be applied, totalling the combined service fee charge of $150 on the whole amount, not $200.

Untitled
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
79 of 326

@Megan S wrote:

1) It's only valid on new contracts.

2) If you get a $1,000 contract, they will take 20% or $200 which means you only get $800.  

3) And that doesn't change until you get a new client and are able to bill that same client for over $10,000.  

4) No fee reduction of 5% for existing clients.

5) I don't even know what that means.

6) Don't care--I started working other platforms as soon as they announced they were considering this pricing change.

1) You are wrong
2) You are wrong
3) You are wrong
4) You are wrong
5) That is blatantly obvious. You don't know what any of it means, clearly....
6) Very good idea! Good luck to them....

maverickuk
Ace Contributor
Nick M Member Since: Jul 12, 2011
80 of 326

I posted this elsewhere, but it's very fitting for this thread too...

20% is way too much. I've moved to another freelancing website that has a 15% fee for the first £375 and then ONLY 5% for all work thereafter and that's across ALL clients, not just one particular client. Obviously I can't state the name openly on here, but I'm making more mone than ever before over there, getting higher paying clients and I get to keep more of the money that I earn.

If this website can afford to offer a 15% fee for the first £375 and only 5% thereafter for the rest of the month, then well, Upwork are clearly conning us majorly. Of course the website I talk of isn't as big as Upwork, but overheads scale with the number of users on the website.

Anyway, I suggest you hit Upwork where it hurts - there bottom line. I can understand why they'd charge more, but charging 20% for the first $500 with just one particular client is insane. I've moved on, other people will too. Others will stay here and relish in the glory of their lower take-home income. You do what's best for you, not what's best for Upwork or anyone else for that matter.

Edit: It's worth noting that I've made £2000 in the first two weeks on this new platform and that was without ANY feedback what-so-ever, just a portfolio and willingness to work before being paid. Now I have feedback, I'm getting more work than I can handle and that's allowing me to charge more money than I ever could before on Upwork. I thought I was doomed when Upwork introduced their new pricing, but they've actually forced me away and I've improved my outlook greatly elsewhere.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS