cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork’s New Service Fees - Rolled Out !!

malcolmwheeler
Malcolm W Member Since: Aug 16, 2015
81 of 326

@Rokan K:

It's real simple. If a buyer posts a project with a $500 budget, and your price, incluiding all fees, would be over that budget, you don't bid.

If you have current clients who are not willing to meet you at least half way with a 5% increase to the budget, simply ditch them. Too many freelancers act like the need to beg and grovel for work. Firing clients is something you have to do from time to time. You are running a business, if something is no longer profitable, you stop doing it. Commerce 101.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
82 of 326

@Malcolm W wrote:

@Rokan K:

It's real simple. If a buyer posts a project with a $500 budget, and your price, incluiding all fees, would be over that budget, you don't bid.

That's just silly.

You just bid your price and they take it or leave it. A lot of times, they take it.

neil-delgado
Neil D Member Since: Jun 12, 2016
83 of 326

Would really appreciate if you state the name of the site.. but yeah, I understand. Smiley Happy

i_sulga
Ace Contributor
Irina S Member Since: Jun 21, 2016
84 of 326

Another thing I hate about Upwork - waiting my money for ages, while Upwork is using it somewhere .... 

maverickuk
Ace Contributor
Nick M Member Since: Jul 12, 2011
85 of 326

Actually, I didn't mention this in my original post. The new platform I'm using allows you to release the money to your account NO MORE than one day after the funds are deposited in to Escrow. I honestly don't understand Upworks logic compared to other freelancing websites.

garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
86 of 326

Hi Irina,

We're not using your money elsewhere. The security period is in place for all payments on Upwork to provide secure processing and transfer of funds.

maverickuk
Ace Contributor
Nick M Member Since: Jul 12, 2011
87 of 326

Hi Garnor*,

If this is true, then why can other freelance platforms offer same day payment releases? If what you're saying is actually true, then all other freelance platforms would protect their money and have the same sort of 'security' - you can't tell me this other platform isn't securely processing payments, because that's a lie. If Upwork wanted to, they too could offer same or next day payment processing, but the fact is it benefits your business too much for you to do this.

*edited

malcolmwheeler
Malcolm W Member Since: Aug 16, 2015
88 of 326

I beleive that to be compliant with legislation, funds in escrow need to be kept in a fenced account, that Upwork can't use for anything else. Whether this is the case or not, I don't know.

priscillasalve
priscilla s Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
89 of 326

Who among you guys agree with this sliding fee based on lifetime billing?

Do you think this is fair for us freelancers to just let Upwork use up most of our earnings?

Don't you think Upwork is now getting so greedy by deducting 20% from the first $500 we are earning from our clients? 

Why Upwork is doing this kind of inhumane thing to us? We are all digging money from hardwork and what? This is something more than a tax collected by the government.

Give us some answers. This is frankly and honestly an inhumane act to us freelancers. 10% deduction is something to us but 20% is too much!

csjarmitage
Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
90 of 326

Simple, non-sarcastic question.

Why are you staying at Upwork if you're so incensed by the fee?  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS