cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork's Tax ID Number

Jeff G Member Since: Apr 16, 2017
1 of 4

Hi,

I am a US based freelancer and I need to report my income for taxes. I need Upwork's Tax ID number in order to report where I received the income from the IRS. Please reply as soon as possible as taxes are due very soon. Thank you.

Jeff

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 4

You don't need this information. As a self-employed freelancer you only need to report your Upwork earnings along with any deductions you may want to take, such as Upwork fees and membership. I've never had to supply Elance or Upwork's tax ID number.

Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
3 of 4

Jeff,

Are you sure the IRS doesn't want your taxpayer ID number? Unless you have chosen to have one issued for your business, this is by default your Social Security number.

Best,

Michael

Marissa S Member Since: Apr 9, 2019
4 of 4

Obviously you don't need this info anymore 2 years later, however I just went through this same experience and figured I'd provide some additional insight for anyone searching (as the deadline approaches!) 

Basically, use TURBO TAX! They are so amazingly easy to use. As independent contractors we do not qualify for a 1099-MISC and *most* people won't qualify for a 1099-K (You can check Upworks FAQ about this if you want to verify if you qualify, but it's safe to say if you haven't received it from Upwork at this point this year you didn't qualify).

We are considered self-employed so our income would be as such when filing taxes. The reason I love Turbo Tax is because they make this super easy to do and, since we automatically have to pay for self-employment services through them, they offer live customer support! 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS