🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork's calculation of success
Page options
norrcomm
Community Member

Upwork's calculation of success

Does any REALLY know hw upwork calculates success?

I have many recurring clients so my contracts do not close.  To be honest, I like it this way as there is a cost savings on commission as over time, clients that I've had for 2 or more years, my upwork commission rate stays low. 

I suspect this seems to cause my success rate to be below 90%.  I've rarely had poor feedback but does anyone REALLY know upwork's true calculation of this metric Smiley Frustrated

1 REPLY 1
a_lipsey
Community Member

Irwin W wrote:

Does any REALLY know hw upwork calculates success?

I have many recurring clients so my contracts do not close.  To be honest, I like it this way as there is a cost savings on commission as over time, clients that I've had for 2 or more years, my upwork commission rate stays low. 

I suspect this seems to cause my success rate to be below 90%.  I've rarely had poor feedback but does anyone REALLY know upwork's true calculation of this metric Smiley Frustrated

The number of contracts you have with a client does not impact the fee rate. The fee applies across all contracts with each individual client. So if you reached $1000 with client A, then close the contract, then open a new one, your fee will still be 10%. 

I imagine that the contracts on which you got less than 5 stars, particularly the recent 3.65, left very poor private feedback, which is what counts in the JSS calculation. You have enough poor outcomes sprinkled throughout your JSS calculation windows that this is what's got you below 90%, not long-term contracts, which actually help JSS. 

One way to improve your JSS in the next calculation update would be to close some of the ongoing contracts, but only if you can get good private feedback, which you certainly should not ask for.  So you need to be certain any contracts you close that the clients are very happy and would recommend or hire you again. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths