🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork's inability to protect freelancer's wo...
Page options
htmyth
Community Member

Upwork's inability to protect freelancer's work

I am on Elance/Upwork for 10 years and have always been top rated. I am facing a chargeback for the first time in 10 years. The client did that because he wanted me to do some extra bits for free a month after the project was completed.

My client used his bank to take back the project's money and Upwork wants me to pay for it. This is a month after the work had been completed, a bonus titled "Good ethics" issued and complete approval of the cient as seen in the discussions. He even offered me a new job which I declined as well.
All of this would be sufficient proof in a court of law but somehow, not sufficient enough for Upwork to defend a chargeback claim.

Somehow the memos on hourly payment are required to protect one's work which is a pathetic excuse in the light of everything else that's available and I am not sure even in that case Upwork would do anything about it. It's a failure of Upwork's business model and it's shockingly apalling to say the least.

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Abrar A wrote:

Somehow the memos on hourly payment are required to protect one's work which is a pathetic excuse in the light of everything else that's available and I am not sure even in that case Upwork would do anything about it.

If your hours had complied fully with the terms of the hourly protection, then Upwork would have paid you out of their own pocket. When a chargeback happens, the money is already gone from Upwork's bank account. The client's bank has already taken it away. 

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Abrar,

I'm sorry to hear about the bad experience you've had. I would like to confirm that our team has already reached out to you via ticket to assist you further. If you have any additional questions, feel free to post them directly on your ticket with the number 32486473. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Abrar:

I am sorry about what happened to you.

This client is a bad person for filing to get a chargeback from his bank.

But you didn't use memos?

I always use memos. This is such a basic part of using Upwork.

I hope you will use memos in the future. This protects you and if shows respect to your clients.

But if you haven't been using memos regularly and this is the first time you got into trouble because of this error on your part in ten years?

Honestly, that is a good track record. You're fortunate.

If you start using memos now, then ten years from now when another rogue client issues a chargeback, you will still receive your money.

jr-translation
Community Member

Abrar, in your reply to the feedback you write: "Upwork has the policy that amends can be made free of charge for up to 2 weeks. I was kind enough to do his work urgently and after 3-4 weeks."

Where does this information come from?

Jennifer R wrote:

Abrar, in your reply to the feedback you write: "Upwork has the policy that amends can be made free of charge for up to 2 weeks. I was kind enough to do his work urgently and after 3-4 weeks."

Where does this information come from?

He made it up. There is no such policy.

At all.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members