cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork should introduce "Read" receipts for Messages

Waqas A Member Since: Nov 13, 2017
1 of 11

I think it's about time Upwork should bring some innovation to its system. Starting with "Read" receipts for messages. Many a times, I have noticed that the clients just start ignoring messages after a very detailed discussion with you. We should atleast know that the client is reading our messages and not replying because he don't want to. It will stop us from sending un-necessary messages. I think clients might get frustrated due to our continous messages. I hope upwork brings this receipt thing soon. 

Shahid M Member Since: Jan 12, 2018
2 of 11

strongly agreed 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
3 of 11

@Waqas A wrote:

1)  I think it's about time Upwork should bring some innovation to its system. Starting with "Read" receipts for messages.

2) I think clients might get frustrated due to our continous messages.

1)  Absolutely not. This has been suggested before and was overwhelmingly rejected over and over again.

Just because I may have seen a message (as a client or a freelancer) dooes not mean I can / have time to / want to respond to it right now or ever.

The last thing anyone needs is being bombarded with freaked out messages  of the "YOU HAVE READ MY MESSAGE WHY HAVEN'T YOU RESPONDED???"  kind.

2) And that is exactly why "continuous messages" are a horrible idea. Send a message. MAYBE follow up once.

Then leave the client the hell alone. The client knows where to find you if they want to. If they don't react: Take the hint!!!

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
4 of 11

@Waqas A wrote:

I think it's about time Upwork should bring some innovation to its system. Starting with "Read" receipts for messages. Many a times, I have noticed that the clients just start ignoring messages after a very detailed discussion with you. We should atleast know that the client is reading our messages and not replying because he don't want to. It will stop us from sending un-necessary messages. I think clients might get frustrated due to our continous messages. I hope upwork brings this receipt thing soon. 

NO, NO, NO!
If you do a forum search, you'll see that this subject matter has been brought up many times before and the majority of freelancers hate the idea, for all the good reasons Petra stated.

Professional freelancers do not spam clients with continuous messages. If a client doesn't respond to you, that should be hint enough "he don't want to". That's a client's prerogative.

Bhavesh K Member Since: Aug 20, 2016
5 of 11

Sorry, it is not the new idea but just copy if it.

It's LinkedIn messenger like last read receipts.

Not sure where will it help us but sure it will.

all.png

How about it?

Thanks

Rasheen W Member Since: Jul 19, 2018
6 of 11

Makes a lot of sense to me. Would be nice to at least know the custom cover letter you sent was actually looked at. 

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
7 of 11

No, no, no, no, no. No. No, thank you. I don't need clients seeing that I've read messages and getting anxious (or worse yet, peeved) that I've not responded yet. I respond when I'm ready. If I wanted to be that tightly accountable for my time and attention, I'd be working in an office somewhere.

Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
8 of 11

Any time I get an email with a read receipt (doesn't happen very often) I am annoyed and disallow it immediately. I have my status set such that it never shows when I am on-line here. I can be working with other clients or on other matters and I don't need clients thinking I am available and then sitting there annoyed that I am not replying right away. I understand the OP is looking at things like whether a client read a proposal, but if you allow that then you aren't far away from generalized read receipts. Overall I expect that the system works especially since it's all on UW and not reliant on other outside services. Whether the client read the proposal or not, you cannot do anything about it. I don't think we need this extra layer of monitoring. 

Bhavesh K Member Since: Aug 20, 2016
9 of 11

Thanks you Mr. Scott.

I agree with direction Smiley Happy

Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
10 of 11

@Phyllis G wrote:

No, no, no, no, no. No. No, thank you. I don't need clients seeing that I've read messages and getting anxious (or worse yet, peeved) that I've not responded yet. I respond when I'm ready. If I wanted to be that tightly accountable for my time and attention, I'd be working in an office somewhere.

Phyllis, I'd give you 100 for this one if I could.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS