Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Upwork should introduce "Read" receipts for Messages

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
11 of 43

@Phyllis G wrote:

No, no, no, no, no. No. No, thank you. I don't need clients seeing that I've read messages and getting anxious (or worse yet, peeved) that I've not responded yet. I respond when I'm ready. If I wanted to be that tightly accountable for my time and attention, I'd be working in an office somewhere.


 Could not agree more!

Highlighted
Active Member
Lewis B Member Since: Mar 11, 2019
12 of 43

It is August of 2019 and I still strongly agree with this. I have a guy that I can never get ahold of. If we can't get each other's phone number, and the guy never logs onto Upwork.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
13 of 43

Lewis B wrote:

It is August of 2019 and I still strongly agree with this. I have a guy that I can never get ahold of. If we can't get each other's phone number, and the guy never logs onto Upwork.


If he never logs into Upwork, how do you suppose you'll get a read receipt? Have you thought this comment through? Because this idea is one of the worst ever the sweaties have come up with. I don't want to be nagged that I didn't respond right away when I saw a message and I'm on the clock and can't respond because I'm in the middle of something.


**Edited for Community Guidelines** and stop making this suggestion.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
14 of 43

Jennifer M wrote:

Lewis B wrote:

It is August of 2019 and I still strongly agree with this. I have a guy that I can never get ahold of. If we can't get each other's phone number, and the guy never logs onto Upwork.


If he never logs into Upwork, how do you suppose you'll get a read receipt? Have you thought this comment through? Because this idea is one of the worst ever the sweaties have come up with. I don't want to be nagged that I didn't respond right away when I saw a message and I'm on the clock and can't respond because I'm in the middle of something.

 

Remove yourselves from the freelancer pool for the love of all that is holy and stop making this suggestion.

_______________________________________________________________________

Let's hear an AMEN!!! 


 

Highlighted
Moderator
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
15 of 43

Hi Lewis and others,

 

Our Product team considered this feature a few years ago but, based on research and feedback we received, decided not to go forward with implementing it. Please see this thread and Fernando's reply:

 


Fernando V. wrote:

Thank you all for your feedback. Many of you voiced legitimate concerns, and so we have decided not to pursue this at this point. Once again, thank you for being so awesome, it's great to be able to have this sort of communication with our users.


~ Valeria
Untitled

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
16 of 43

Thanks for postng the link, Valeria ... I was about to search for it.

 

To anyone who wants to argue this, a brief intro:

 

1. Good clients - the ones who understand why and what FLers can do for them - are NOT micromanagers.

2. Good freelancers - the kind good clients want to work with - are NOT micro-manageable. The good ones chose to leave corporate for a number of reasons > this is one of them.

3. The truly successful client - FLer relationships are based on respect. And trust. And maturity. From both parties.

 

 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
17 of 43

Wendy C wrote:

Thanks for postng the link, Valeria ... I was about to search for it.

 

To anyone who wants to argue this, a brief intro:

 

1. Good clients - the ones who understand why and what FLers can do for them - are NOT micromanagers.

2. Good freelancers - the kind good clients want to work with - are NOT micro-manageable. The good ones chose to leave corporate for a number of reasons > this is one of them.

3. The truly successful client - FLer relationships are based on respect. And trust. And maturity. From both parties.

 

 


Perfectly stated, Wendy. 99.9% of the time, the people requesting this function have little experience at the "art" of freelancing.

Highlighted
Active Member
Ajmal R Member Since: Sep 14, 2016
18 of 43

Hello,

  I am a freelancer here at Upwork, I think it will be great and more helpful if there is a 'Last seen' feature on messages tab (like other messaging apps such as Whatsapp, Facebook messenger etc). It will definitely improve the client freelancer interaction and overall work atmosphere. Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
19 of 43

Absolutely not!

 

The last thing I need is for everyone to know whether I have just been there. I have work to do and showing "last seen 2 minutes ago" just makes the viewer think I should be able to respond instantly.

Highlighted
Active Member
Ajmal R Member Since: Sep 14, 2016
20 of 43

Thanks Petra for your reply.

 

But I think you missed my point. What if a freelancer sent a message to the client regarding something important on the project and there is no reply for a day. If there is a 'last seen' feature or 'message read' feature we will be able to understand the client didnt reply because he was unable to get online or some other technical failure. Without the last seen feature a freelancer is unaware of the clients situation and might think why in the world the client is not replying to something that important.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS