🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork should never make freelancers' earning...
Page options
donnuel
Community Member

Upwork should never make freelancers' earnings public for security reasons!

It's not good for Upwork to make freelancers' earnings public, especially those from poverty-stricken, third-world countries like Nigeria. It puts the lives of freelancers at risk!

Let me know share my story so that you understand what I mean.

As I type this, I'm in hiding because I'm a target for armed robbery and kidnapping.

This is how it started:
I don't know how some guys in my neighborhood got to know my profile. Last week, I overheard them discussing about my earnings. On Sunday, a group of them camped in front of my house shouting money, money, in the local dialect. I knew I had to upgrade to Upwork Plus Plan to keep my earnings private, which I did. Unfortunately, it backfired. As they could not see the earnings on my profile, they thought I withdrew all the earnings and kept it my account. So, they plan to kidnap me. I had to run away from my house on Monday — my life is at risk! Additionally, the disruption is affecting my productivity.

Freelancer's earnings should never be made public. It's extremely dangerous, especially for those living in third-world countries!
15 REPLIES 15
prestonhunter
Community Member

Emmanuel, I am sorry that things are so messed up in the place that you live.

It isn't like that for most of us.

Because you live in a place with such people doesn't mean you should decide how things are for the rest of us.

That's why I said for third-world countries!

Emmanual,

What you describe is not something that any thinking person who reads about it would be cavalier about.

Upwork's management used to say that bringing new work opportunities to farflung parts of the world was one of Upwork's founding principles and ongoing goals, so I hope the safety of freelancers like you is also a corporate priority.

Be safe!

Thank you, Will

You can make your profile private or visible only to people who have an Upwork account.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
tlbp
Community Member

Rene K wrote:

You can make your profile private or visible only to people who have an Upwork account.

Do this at least. If they can see that you are getting jobs, they will know you are making money. 

donnuel
Community Member

In my country, working from home with a laptop is a crime. They even think that Upwork is fraud.
tlbp
Community Member

Don't you feel that you would still be at risk simply because they know you are working on Upwork? Is there any amount of money you could make that would prevent them from trying to take it from you? I don't envy your position, but I suspect that just the fact that you have a profile on the platform will put you at risk given the behavior of these neighbors. Can you move to a different area? 😞

donnuel
Community Member

I have started making plans for that. Thank you.

Preston H wrote:

Because you live in a place with such people doesn't mean you should decide how things are for the rest of us.

This is factually correct.
And a wrong thing to say.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
florydev
Community Member

Emmanuel I wrote:
It's not good for Upwork to make freelancers' earnings public, especially those from poverty-stricken, third-world countries like Nigeria. It puts the lives of freelancers at risk!

As I type this, I'm in hiding because I'm a target for armed robbery and kidnapping.

This is how it started:
I don't know how some guys in my neighborhood got to know my profile. Last week, I overheard them discussing about my earnings. On Sunday, a group of them camped in front of my house shouting money, money, in the local dialect. I knew I had to upgrade to Upwork Plus Plan to keep my earnings private, which I did. Unfortunately, it backfired. As they could not see the earnings on my profile, they thought I withdrew all the earnings and kept it my account. So, they plan to kidnap me. I had to run away from my house on Monday — my life is at risk! Additionally, the disruption is affecting my productivity.

Freelancer's earnings should never be made public. It's extremely dangerous, especially for those living in third-world countries!

Holy crap man, I would have never even thought of that as a problem.  I am really sorry you went through that.

donnuel
Community Member

Thank you. The most important thing is that no other person passes through such again. I hope Upwork management would take action.
tta192
Community Member

Keeping your earnings private will cause those people to attempt (un?)educated guessed and think you're making even more than before, all while in reality you'll be getting less jobs as a result of the change!

alexis-arinze
Community Member

Emmanuel I wrote:

This is how it started:

Ya mere nwute! That's a horrible situation to be in. I'm Nigerian myself and lived in Ogun State for a few years. I know how bad some places are over there. Stay safe and hope your situation gets better. Ndo ozo..

My sister thank you. Daalu
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members