🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork should remove JSS from preferred quali...
Page options
vdharankar

Upwork should remove JSS from preferred qualifications

I personally think Upwork should remove JSS from preferred qualifications. 

Here are the reasons why ,

1. If JSS is added as a preferred qualifications then your application appears under heading , candidates doesn't matching your criteria. Based on my discussion with my previous clients they don't even look into the list of such candidates . Now if your JSS is 89 you will appear under list of unqualified candidates even if you match other criteria.

2. Many clients (based on my discussion again ) think that JSS score means how many projects you have completed out of 100 on a percentage scale , which is again wrong. 

3. Many clients just think that adding min JSS above 90 condition guranttee than the candidates sorted are better than less than 90.

Now again due to all above reasons candidates even on borderline rarely landup with a job since these clients doesn't even bother to discuss the possibilities.

I have experienced this many a times. This way Upwork is **Edited for Community Guidelines**up carriers of many good freelancers who ended up with low JSS due to various reasons not only being poor performance.

Further more I have seen freelancers with 100% JSS with just two or three projects , I wonder how many clients consider a fact that a freelancer with 88%  and 20+ projects .

So basically it's an injustice to good freelancers. I am not against JSS but at least Upwork should remove it from preferred qualifications.

P.S. My JSS at time of writing this thread is slightly less than 90 and I am finding it hard to even talk with clients on their projects . I have raised this issue before as well. Also I am.not stuck with JSS less than 90 forever it keeps fluctuating between less than 100 and less than 90. 

19 REPLIES 19
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Vishal,

Upwork does not add JSS as preferred qualification, clients are adding any preference on their job posting.

JSS is calculated every second week on Sunday and for every 6-12 and 24 moths windows. This means that contracts pushing out of this window and new contracts will determine your best JSS overall. I can advise you to focus on smaller fixed price contracts as they will be included in your calculation a little bit faster.

As for your clients you can always share this Help Article to help them understand what does JSS means and how it works.  
Thank you for your feedback, I will share this with our team.

~ Goran
Upwork

I understand that upwork doesn’t add that as additional qualifications, what I mean was upwork should remove JSS from preferred qualifications options . So that clients don’t add it .

I personally think that Upwork is not going to change it. You would better spend your effort in trying to improve your JSS.

Obviously I do that that’s why I said mine keeps going up and down but should we stop giving a feedback ? After all we make it what it is now .

@vishal d wrote:
I understand that upwork doesn’t add that as additional qualifications, what I mean was upwork should remove JSS from preferred qualifications options . So that clients don’t add it .

That isn't going to happen, and would be completely counterproductive...... Upwork WANTS clients to choose freelancers with a high JSS....

Yep I don't think I need someone to tell that , but if we don't give feedback to Upwork probably they won't know we have problem, looks like you don't have any problems too. 😊

Also when Upwork or someone else suggests to work on JSS can they also tell me how to land a job in vacancies which demands for 90 JSS ? It becomes a cycle you don't get a job still JSS drops . 

@vishal d wrote:

Also when Upwork or someone else suggests to work on JSS can they also tell me how to land a job in vacancies which demands for 90 JSS ? It becomes a cycle you don't get a job still JSS drops . 

Just apply anyway with a killer-proposal. No job posting DEMANDS a 90+% JSS. Those are preferences, not requirements.

I repeat I am not against JSS I just want upwork to not show the freelancers with lower JSS than preferred as “Not meeting your criteria” I have already stated in earlier messages it’s reason

@vishal d wrote:
I just want upwork to not show the freelancers with lower JSS than preferred as “Not meeting your criteria”

But... if a client sets that preference then freelancers who don't meet that preference ... don't meet that preference....

But Upwork shouldn't allow clients to choose not to work with OP. That's not fair. OP wants work, there should be no barriers to him getting what he wants. 

@Tonya P wrote:

But Upwork shouldn't allow clients to choose not to work with OP. That's not fair. OP wants work, there should be no barriers to him getting what he wants. 

Tonya, there is now coffee on my keyboard...

Well I smell the sarcasm , but you don’t get the point , it’s not just about the job , I have repeat clients , I do get work , but how about someone who doesn’t ? Also I just wanted to highlight few points such as what clients think JSS is , actually It’s not . I know many fellow freelancers who are currently having these issues .

@vishal d wrote:
Well I smell the sarcasm , but you don’t get the point , it’s not just about the job , I have repeat clients , I do get work , but how about someone who doesn’t ? Also I just wanted to highlight few points such as what clients think JSS is , actually It’s not . I know many fellow freelancers who are currently having these issues .

Yes, so maybe we should have a system wheere clients no longer see anything, no feedback, no skills, no overview, no proposals, no profiles, no job history and just draw their freelancers lottery-style.

That'll create a nice even playing field, won't it?

I understand some people just like to troll others 🙂 enjoy .

I wish you would read and understand my original post , I think you never worked on upwork before JSS . No don’t worry not going to reply to your any of the reply after this .

@vishal d wrote:
I wish you would read and understand my original post , I think you never worked on upwork before JSS . No don’t worry not going to reply to your any of the reply after this .

I did read your original post, and I did understand it, and I did work on Upwork long before JSS appeared. I am not trolling, I am trying to explain to you why your argumentation is flawed, using humour.

None of the responses you've received constitute trolling, and none manifest a failure to read or understand your initial post.

The point you made is a weak one, and it has been explained to you why it is weak.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't have raised the topic or shouldn't have expressed your opinion on it. It doesn't mean you're being disrespected.

You're not being trolled; you're being disagreed with.

@vishal d wrote:
I repeat I am not against JSS I just want upwork to not show the freelancers with lower JSS than preferred as “Not meeting your criteria” I have already stated in earlier messages it’s reason

Vishal, I had a look at your profile and I can see that you have issues with making clients perfectly happy. In the light of this, I can understand why you don't like it that the clients are allowed to filter out by JSS.

That being said, even if this selector wasn't available, your JSS (which is not bad at all: 89%) could still be a discriminating factor for some of them.

What you should do, if I may suggest, is to work towards performing even better and making ll your clients totally happy. Try to pinpoint what it is that you could do better and what it was that made clients giving you less than perfect feedback. If you manage to do this, and I'm sure you can, JSS won't be a problem anymore.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless