Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork should remove JSS from preferred qualifications

vdharankar
Ace Contributor
vishal d Member Since: Apr 20, 2016
1 of 20

I personally think Upwork should remove JSS from preferred qualifications. 

Here are the reasons why ,

1. If JSS is added as a preferred qualifications then your application appears under heading , candidates doesn't matching your criteria. Based on my discussion with my previous clients they don't even look into the list of such candidates . Now if your JSS is 89 you will appear under list of unqualified candidates even if you match other criteria.

2. Many clients (based on my discussion again ) think that JSS score means how many projects you have completed out of 100 on a percentage scale , which is again wrong. 

3. Many clients just think that adding min JSS above 90 condition guranttee than the candidates sorted are better than less than 90.

Now again due to all above reasons candidates even on borderline rarely landup with a job since these clients doesn't even bother to discuss the possibilities.

I have experienced this many a times. This way Upwork is **Edited for Community Guidelines**up carriers of many good freelancers who ended up with low JSS due to various reasons not only being poor performance.

Further more I have seen freelancers with 100% JSS with just two or three projects , I wonder how many clients consider a fact that a freelancer with 88%  and 20+ projects .

So basically it's an injustice to good freelancers. I am not against JSS but at least Upwork should remove it from preferred qualifications.

P.S. My JSS at time of writing this thread is slightly less than 90 and I am finding it hard to even talk with clients on their projects . I have raised this issue before as well. Also I am.not stuck with JSS less than 90 forever it keeps fluctuating between less than 100 and less than 90. 

g_vasilevski
Goran V Moderator Member Since: Mar 24, 2017
2 of 20

Hi Vishal,

Upwork does not add JSS as preferred qualification, clients are adding any preference on their job posting.

JSS is calculated every second week on Sunday and for every 6-12 and 24 moths windows. This means that contracts pushing out of this window and new contracts will determine your best JSS overall. I can advise you to focus on smaller fixed price contracts as they will be included in your calculation a little bit faster.

As for your clients you can always share this Help Article to help them understand what does JSS means and how it works.  
Thank you for your feedback, I will share this with our team.

~ Goran
Upwork
vdharankar
Ace Contributor
3 of 20
I understand that upwork doesn’t add that as additional qualifications, what I mean was upwork should remove JSS from preferred qualifications options . So that clients don’t add it .
iamchunchunchun
Community Guru
Hiu Chun L Member Since: Jul 27, 2017
4 of 20
I personally think that Upwork is not going to change it. You would better spend your effort in trying to improve your JSS.
vdharankar
Ace Contributor
5 of 20
Obviously I do that that’s why I said mine keeps going up and down but should we stop giving a feedback ? After all we make it what it is now .
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 20

@vishal d wrote:
I understand that upwork doesn’t add that as additional qualifications, what I mean was upwork should remove JSS from preferred qualifications options . So that clients don’t add it .

That isn't going to happen, and would be completely counterproductive...... Upwork WANTS clients to choose freelancers with a high JSS....

vdharankar
Ace Contributor
7 of 20
Yep I don't think I need someone to tell that , but if we don't give feedback to Upwork probably they won't know we have problem, looks like you don't have any problems too. 😊
vdharankar
Ace Contributor
8 of 20

Also when Upwork or someone else suggests to work on JSS can they also tell me how to land a job in vacancies which demands for 90 JSS ? It becomes a cycle you don't get a job still JSS drops . 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 20

@vishal d wrote:

Also when Upwork or someone else suggests to work on JSS can they also tell me how to land a job in vacancies which demands for 90 JSS ? It becomes a cycle you don't get a job still JSS drops . 

Just apply anyway with a killer-proposal. No job posting DEMANDS a 90+% JSS. Those are preferences, not requirements.

vdharankar
Ace Contributor
10 of 20
I repeat I am not against JSS I just want upwork to not show the freelancers with lower JSS than preferred as “Not meeting your criteria” I have already stated in earlier messages it’s reason
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS