🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork should work on their JSS algorithm!
Page options
karic_tijana
Community Member

Upwork should work on their JSS algorithm!

This is not the first time it's happening, but it became the most annoying one. My JSS sank from 98% to 94% in two weeks, ALTHOUGH I had closed some ongoing contracts sucessfully, including one new job that was done in 48h. I took up two new contracts and set up my availability and everything 'by the book'. Yet, my JSS sank. I doubt that the only person who could have given me the bad private score did so, because they went with another freelancer after the test phase because of her/his lower price. But even if she did give me a 1 (on a 1-10 scale), with 49 jobs completed you sink my JSS 4%?? Also, even if she did grade me badly, it was a 15$ job, seriously, 4% for that? And what is one supposed to do to get to 100%? Unless ALL my clients are lying to me that they're satisfied and then give me bad private feedback, I don't see what the problem is. And if they do lie and then lower my score privately, you should ALSO reconsider your algorithm. 

I'm tired of this chasing the JSS even though I work normally, clients contact me, I get the jobs, I deliver, they're happy. Seriously, you need to get that algorithm checked.

9 REPLIES 9
karic_tijana
Community Member

I am seriously thinking about leaving the platform. I know I haven't earned a world for Upwork, but if you keep treating your freelancers like this, you might lose more. And if you don't care about us 'small ones', well then, we should definitely leave, it would be a win-win, or not?

Tijana K wrote:

I am seriously thinking about leaving the platform. I know I haven't earned a world for Upwork, but if you keep treating your freelancers like this, you might lose more. And if you don't care about us 'small ones', well then, we should definitely leave, it would be a win-win, or not?

It could also be because 2 of your biggest jobs just fell out of certain JSS windows, so it's not just the $15 job. 

petra_r
Community Member

Tijana K wrote:

This is not the first time it's happening, but it became the most annoying one. My JSS sank from 98% to 94% in two weeks, ALTHOUGH I had closed some ongoing contracts sucessfully, including one new job that was done in 48h. I took up two new contracts and set up my availability and everything 'by the book'. Yet, my JSS sank.

On your "My Stats" page, what is your "Clients who would recommend me" percentage? That's your private feedback.

There are 2 things that have a negative effect on your JSS:

1. Poor private feedback
  2. Contracts that lead to no earnings, ever (open for 2+ months or closed)
Tijana K wrote:

I have no idea why people think a platform is supposed to "care" - Upwork is a business. The only thing they are supposed to "care" about is their bottom line. You use Upwork to get you clients. Upwork is not your mother or your friend. It's a tool. "Care" does not come into it.

There are way too many freelancers on the platform, with countless others trying to get in. Losing freelancers does not cause any problem for Upwork. For every one that leaves, there are a dozen desperate to get on.

Losing clients (who bring the money) is an issue. Losing freelancers? Not a problem for Upwork.

Tijana K wrote:

And what is one supposed to do to get to 100%?

Knock it out of the park over and over again. Choose clients carefully and reject those who seem difficult before they even start a contract. Vet clients thoroughly and intelligently. Manage contracts and clients competently.

That's how you get to 100% and stay there year in, year out.

And if you don't care about us 'small ones', well then, we should definitely leave, it would be a win-win, or not?

How does leaving make it a "win-win" situation for YOU? It would be of no consequence to Upwork, either way. Freelancers are a dime a dozen, so you leaving would make no difference to them either way. How would it benefit you, though?

For months (if not years) has Upwork claimed that they don't count inactive contracts (open 2+ months with no earnings) into JSS. Since when is that changed? I don't personally have those contracts, I just wonder. I read a ton of threads here where they were claiming they don't take inactive jobs into account. Guess things changed after a few months since I was here last time.

As I said, I do manage my clients and contracts well, I always ask for a feedback before closing and discuss potential issues, but they all seem to be delighted, unless they are lying. Thank you for your answer, Petra, but it's full of common places and it doesn't help in any way, nor answer my question. I know where to find my private feedback percentage. What it doesn't tell me is why is my JSS lowering. I even had rehires and everything that was supposed to increase the score, but it didn't happen. 

The win-win example was sarcasm. And yes, I do understand it's a business, but that's what I was talking about. 0 protection for freelancers who actually earn the money for them, the clients wouldn't have whom to pay if we weren't earning the money. But sure, if there are milions of people who wait to hop on Upwork, everything we write here is simply irrelevant.

Tijana K wrote:

For months (if not years) has Upwork claimed that they don't count inactive contracts (open 2+ months with no earnings) into JSS.

No. They never said any such thing. Contracts that have never led to any earnings from the start have always had a negative effect on the JSS.

Contracts where money was paid at some point, but then became inactive, don't hurt.

Tijana K wrote:

I know where to find my private feedback percentage.

Right. And what is it?

Tijana K wrote:

But sure, if there are milions of people who wait to hop on Upwork, everything we write here is simply irrelevant.

Correct.

"Contracts where money was paid at some point, but then became inactive, don't hurt."

What I understand as inactive contract is not only 0$ paid, but also paid but with nothing happening for 2+ months. I didn't have those. And yes, about those they are claiming they don't affect the JSS. That is, I didn't understand what you meant under inactive.

Still not helping about anything, so if you're just here to keep telling me things I already know about my profile, then you may save your time for some other threads. 

Tijana K wrote:

"Contracts where money was paid at some point, but then became inactive, don't hurt."

What I understand as inactive contract is not only 0$ paid, but also paid but with nothing happening for 2+ months.

They don't hurt.

So.... what **is** your "clients who would recommend you" percentage on your "My Stats" page?

a_lipsey
Community Member

Tijana K wrote:

I'm tired of this chasing the JSS even though I work normally, clients contact me, I get the jobs, I deliver, they're happy. Seriously, you need to get that algorithm checked.

So stop chasing it. You know you are doing good work, and you are getting paid. As long as you stay above 90%, who cares? Everytime I think about how I want Expert Vetted, although they will never get around to it in my niche, I remember that I really don't care because I'm getting hired and making money. 

Also, find work off platform. Don't let Upwork be your main source of income. The majority of my clients are found off platform. I use Upwork because occasionally a good one pops up, and I'm happy to keep my Upwork profile up-to-date to get the occasional good client here. 

I know it's frustrating but you've got to let it go or it will eat you alive. 

joansands
Community Member

Tijana - I think it is difficult for anyone to help you when your profile is not public and when you don't want to state what your client satisfaction percentage is. And, if you are tired of chasing your JSS, then just don't do it. Whether you want to believe it or not, your client satisfaction percentage is what for the most part determines your JSS. And, I have news for you, some people do lie.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members