🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Upwork site cannot be reached (IP issue)
Page options
marketer365
Community Member

Upwork site cannot be reached (IP issue)

I am having an issue with logging Upwork with my network connection. It was all good previously but recent 4-5hrs I can not browse (www.upwork.com) from my IP (data connection). I have tried to clear caches, chokies and tried incognito mode but I couldn't open Upwork. But I can browse other websites. I have tried different dns settings but couldn't fix it.
I have tried possible solutions but won't work. I can't browse from my PC and Phone as well.
After trying all the solutions I can not browse from my IP.
One solution I got when I used VPN and changed my IP and I was able to browse (www.upwork.com) again.
So what would be the possible solution for this issue?
17 REPLIES 17
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi MD,

We are aware of issues with select users accessing Upwork.com. The issue seems to be caused by a geographically located ISP issue and is unrelated to Upwork. We are taking steps to resolve this and will keep you updated.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank You

back_society
Community Member

One of my new client sent an Offer yesterday and messaged me 3 times. But as i couldn't enter the site because of, i am from Bangladesh and some geographically issues going on Upwork.com | I decided to wait today 8.40am(BD Time) today but still the situation was same. On the other hand, that client was waiting for me for my reply and offer acceptance. After that, i downloaded a VPN browser & opened Upwork with it. So that i can accept the offer &  messaged the client,  what is  going on here in Bangladesh. I am really nervous because i heard that Use VPN is not good for Upwork. But i didn't do any illegal or fraud activity here.  

Kind Regards,
Padma

Upwork team is working on it and it will resolve automatically. 

Check site status here: https://status.upwork.com

Using a VPN is not a crime. At least, I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

Md Solayman K wrote:

Upwork team is working on it

Nonsense. The issue is unrelated to Upwork, so they can not be "working on it"

Using a VPN is fine.

Petra R wrote:

Nonsense. The issue is unrelated to Upwork, so they can not be "working on it"

Using a VPN is fine.

Nonsense? Why is that? Even if the issue is not with Upwork, can't they take steps regarding it?

It is written in the status page that, 'We are taking steps to resolve this and will keep you updated.' Please check and reply afterward.

Hi Padma, 

I'm sorry to learn this has inconvenienced you. We are aware of issues with select users accessing http://Upwork.com. The issue seems to be caused by a geographically located ISP issue and is unrelated to Upwork. We are taking steps to resolve this and will keep you updated. 

In the meantime, I will share your account with the Customer Support Team so that they can reach out to you and send you more information about the issue. 

~ Avery
Upwork
rafsun_ug
Community Member

Hi MD,

It's over now. All of the Upworkers of Bangladesh have passed that 18 hours of the ridiculous session who couldn't access the site from IP! And the shame is that BTRC had blocked the site! But I really appreciate Upwork supporter who always gave me the update by email and inspire me to hold my patience! I hope, BD Govt. will be sincere about this kind of issues and will not kick the freelancers who work honestly and passionately and earn from here! 

needyamingmail
Community Member

Hi,

In May 9, 2019..  I've got an email from upwork. This email was telling me that,

"We have become aware of a problem with an Internet service provider in Bangladesh that may be preventing you from accessing Upwork.com."

What kind of ISP issues in my region? Honestly, If ISP banned access on Upwork.com then what I do? : (

As far as I know they're not banning ISPs. They've noticed that some providers are having issues with their users reaching upwork.com. But the problem is at the ISP level, not with Upwork.

They're just letting you know that there are issues they're trying to get resolved with those providers, so if you do end up having issues, you know why already.

Michael S wrote:

As far as I know they're not banning ISPs. They've noticed that some providers are having issues with their users reaching upwork.com. But the problem is at the ISP level, not with Upwork.

Having seen the full communication from Upwork before it was removed, I think we cannot say the ISP problem is "not with Upwork." Upwork says it is working to resolve the problem, which is a somewhat unusual thing to say if it is a purely ISP-level problem.

edited to add: It's also possible that Upwork chose to help with resolution out of pure self-interest, based on revenue from or even regional profit in the Bangladeshi market.

Md Y wrote:

Honestly, If ISP banned access on Upwork.com then what I do? : (

You get a VPN

Hi Md, 

We have received reports from other freelancers in Bangladesh that the issue has been resolved already. Are you still unable to access Upwork on your end? If so, please try these basic troubleshooting steps, and let us know if the issue persists so that our team can assist you further. 

Troubleshooting steps:

1. Reboot PC
2. Clear/cache and cookies
3. Test on a different browser
4. Restarting network devices

~ Avery
Upwork
robgeyer
Community Member

Good day. I am based in South Africa, and have been unalbe to log onto Upwork all morning. In additon I have been unable to use my team viewer which means I can not log time to work.

As mentioned in the other posts in this thread, using a vpn browser does enalbe me to log onto Upwork hence me being able to respond to this thread, but this is not ideal and defintly not a solution as it is slow and clumbsy, and does not solve the team viewer not working.

I have followed the same suggestions as posted above of clearing cache, rebooting, differnt browsers ect. but these have not solved the issue.

I do note the "Active incident" and trust that this will be resolved soon and not last for 18 hours as it did in India.

Sincerly Rob Geyer.

I'm also in South Africa and have not been able to access any part of Upwork or use the Time Tracker all day. 

Only able to access this forum now with a VPN. 

@admins Any ETA on a fix please? 

Hi Rob and Jo,

I`m sorry about the inconvenience this had caused you. 

Our engineering team is working on resolving this as soon as possible. You can follow our Status page for any new updates. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thanks. Problem is I can't access the status page most of the time 😞
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths