cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork suggests clients to use Google Hangouts?

Community Leader
Annette E Member Since: Mar 17, 2018
1 of 6

I don't recall reading anything but warnings about interviews on Google Hangouts and clients using Google Hangouts in these forums, so I'm rather surprised to read this tip to clients on Upwork's blog:

"One last tip: Try to conduct your interviews via video conference, using a tool like Google Hangouts."

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 6

Annette:

I wouldn't worry too much about what is written in Upwork's blog. A blog can be a marketing tool. It can be a way to diminish demands on Customer Support personnel. It could be all kinds of things.

You may very well be reading something written by a well-meaning Upwork employee who has never actually been a newbie Upwork freelancer accosted by endless scammers asking them to "interview" using Google Hangouts.

Community Leader
3 of 6

I'm not the least bit worried Smiley Wink

Someone posted a question about new clients, whether to be wary of new clients or something to that effect, so I don't really think it's a good idea that Upwork's tips to a new client is to use a tool that will immediately alarm anyone who reads this forum. It's not fair to new clients to give them suggestions that will make them look suspicious.

Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
4 of 6

I agree Annette it probably shouldn't be there. In fact I would strike the whole "video call" item. In all the years I have been here, I have never taken a video interview call with a prospective client (never been asked either). I absolutely have had a voice call which I think is perfectly appropriate. That said, I wouldn't mention any service as ostensibly clients are already familiar with ways in which they can communicate. Hangouts does indeed have a bad reputation here although it's just a technology no different than say Skype. However, it does seem to be used by more sketchy clients. So if I were editing this piece, I would remove any mention of a particular brand of communication and I would not call out video specifically even if it's fine to suggest taking the process beyond words on a screen. 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
5 of 6

Annette and others,

Thanks for bringing this up to our attention. I have already shared your feedback and all the additional information with the team. They'll review and make needed adjustments.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Leader
6 of 6

That was fast!

It's good to see that fast action is taken when it's this important Smiley Wink

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS