cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork support is clossing ticket that they cannot answer without any reason

aldinong
Active

I opened a ticket to support regarding my job success. I asked for a reason as to why my scores are low even though all of the feedback are high. I only have 1 low score which is 3.5 and the rest are either 4.5 or 5.

Their explination did mot match the feedback I received from my client. I gave them some screenshot of all the feedback. What did upwork support do? They just closed the ticket without any explanation.

My case is assigned to **Edited for Community Guidelines** which he escalated to his supervisor **Edited for Community Guidelines**. **Edited for Community Guidelines** could not provide the answer so she de-escalated my case back to **Edited for Community Guidelines**. He never responded to my case just keeps tagging them as resolved.

Is the kind of value upwork support provides to their freelancer? Is this the new norm of upwork?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "Can you blame me if I asked support"

Not at all.

It makes sense to ask support, in an abstract, general sense.

We simply know that, based on experience, support is different in different places. The numbers are different in different places and at different companies with regards to the level of quality that can be found in their customer support department, if they have one at all.

On Upwork, with information available from customer support, the Help Section, Community Forum, and its Facebook page... there are actually a lot of resources. So the tactically smart move is to use the resource which will give you the best results with the least amount of effort. But there's no way a newcomer would necessarily know which of these resources is the best place to go.

So my advice was certainly not provided as a way to chastise or criticize anybody, but to explain the most practical, advantageous approach based on how things actually here. My advice has nothing to do with how things "should" be, or how things might be at other places.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
mthornton-cpc
Community Guru

Aldin, I can't speak to why your ticket has been closed, but my guess is that there may be no way to answer your question without giving away the secret variables that weigh into the JSS calculation. Your profile isn't public, so I can't see your history or stats, but the # of jobs, ratings, public and private feedback (which may be the key in your case if your public feedback is high) and other factors are all weighed in a secret equation that Upwork won't reveal. They explain that giving away the factors in the JSS calculation could lead to people manipulating those factors to falsely affect their scores. 

If you take a look here there are a bajillionty threads about the mystery of the JSS. 

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for the clarification. I have made my account available to users that are logged in. I still could not understand how they rate the job success. They may need to re-evaluate their scoring system.

Your JSS is based on a machine's algarythm as well as private feedback that clients give. Several posts question why private feedback is available and why clients give good public feedback and yet may give bad private feedback. Perhaps it's no one can view what the client really thinks and feels? Whatever the reasons may be, Upwork will NOT tell you why.

@aldin o wrote:

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for the clarification. I have made my account available to users that are logged in. I still could not understand how they rate the job success. They may need to re-evaluate their scoring system.

FWIW, I still see your profile set to private. I still believe it must be the private feedback + possible other factors that go into the JSS's "secret sauce".  There truly is no way to know. 

It is not appropriate to ask Customer Support about the Job Success Core in general, or about one's own Job Success Score specifically.

To do so wastes your time. And it wastes Customer Support's time

They don't know the answers to these questions any way. They are not going to change anybody's Job Success Score.

It is perfectly acceptable to discuss the score in the Community Forum. It is also a good idea to read the information that Upwork has already posted about how the Score works, what factors are important, etc.

Hi Aldin,

public feedback is only one of several variables with which the score is calculated. Upwork puts quite a bit of emphasis on private feedback, especially the recommendation rate.

Did you have any cancellations of jobs with no money paid or full refunds? Those can drag the score down quite a bit. And what does the recommendation rate on your My Stats page say? 3 jobs with imperfect public feedback that probably have imperfect private feedback as well will drop out of your 24 month window soon, so the score might go up once they do.

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Aldin,

I'm sorry you're not satisfied with the support you received. I've checked and see our team has followed up on your ticket multiple times, and have shared all the information they can about your Job Success Score in particular and the way it is calculated. I can also confirm that we can't temporarily hide your job success rate as you requested.

Untitled

I would appreciate honesty and tell me that they can't provide anymore information instead of just closing the ticket. It feels like consulting with a doctor and he just keeps closing the door because they don't have the answer.

I mean they are upwork support and they represent the company, their action reflects the company. Is this the kind of threatment I would expect in the future?

@Vladimir.- If you experience a hidden fee on your bill and you ask a question to support and they can't answer, are you going to be happy if they tell you that they would get back to you then just closed the ticket?

vladag
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Aldin,

Our agents have responded to your questions and explained your current Job Success Score in as much detail as possible. I can confirm you were not told that somebody from our team will get back to you so please refrain from sharing inaccurate information about your communication with Customer Support in the Community.

Untitled

Hi Vladimir

I have not shared any inaccurate information. Please read again what I addressed to you. I was not pertaining it to upwork support but more of a scenario or an example. You are right that they tried to explain but I asked for a specific question and they never got back to me and kept closing the ticket. They could have at least be honest with me that they can't provide the break down then I would not have wasted anymore time following up with them.

I know that you don't like waiting for nothing. Communication works both ways. If you asked a question to support then the normal thing is to wait for a response.

On a practical level, contractors shouldn't be asking Customer Support questions.

It wastes their time and it wastes ours.

Upwork has a Help section with information. It's the same information that Customer Support has access to. You are more capable of understanding the information in the Help section than they are.

And questions can be asked and answered in the Community Forum.

If a contractor has a technical PROBLEM (not a question) that pertains to THEIR SPECIFIC ACCOUNT (not a general Upwork bug or new feature request), and there is absolutely no way to resolve the problem using their account tools, and they have ALREADY discussed the matter in the Community Forum, then maybe they will need to contact customer support.

But there are many of us (including myself) who simply don't use Customer Support at all.

By NOT using Customer Support, I save myself a lot of time and frustration. I'm also not one of the people who ties up Customer Support so it's unavailable or unresponsive for people who really need it.

This all pertains to contractors, by the way. For clients, Customer Support should be AWESOME and paying clients or clients whose interests in Upwork will turn into paying jobs... they shoud feel free to use Customer Support whenever they have a question, get stuck, or need help.

aldinong
Active
Can you blame me if I asked support, it's a normal reaction for people that are in need of help. The first thing I did is search the help section, but I'm still not satisfied because I know that I delivered what the client asked and more specially that I have good feedback from all of them.

Good for you that you dont need to go to support, but I am not you. And this post is not about whether support can help me or not, its about their actions. That they choose the easy way out which is to close the ticket and care less about the person on the other end.

re: "Can you blame me if I asked support"

Not at all.

It makes sense to ask support, in an abstract, general sense.

We simply know that, based on experience, support is different in different places. The numbers are different in different places and at different companies with regards to the level of quality that can be found in their customer support department, if they have one at all.

On Upwork, with information available from customer support, the Help Section, Community Forum, and its Facebook page... there are actually a lot of resources. So the tactically smart move is to use the resource which will give you the best results with the least amount of effort. But there's no way a newcomer would necessarily know which of these resources is the best place to go.

So my advice was certainly not provided as a way to chastise or criticize anybody, but to explain the most practical, advantageous approach based on how things actually here. My advice has nothing to do with how things "should" be, or how things might be at other places.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS