Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork talent group & processing payment / milestones

julie_cordier
Julie C Member Since: Aug 14, 2017
1 of 13

Hi everyone,

I have completed some work for a client, as part of the Upwork talent group. The second milestone doesn't appear to be funded (as per screenshot), and every time I ask the client for clarification regarding processing payment, I never get a response. (it's only been 3/4 days, but still, they found the time to confirm receipt when I sent them the work).

However, they have sent me another assignment today (without creating a milestone or anything of the sort). I have refused to take it on unless I get transparency regarding payment. Maybe a little drastic, but I'm scared of being scammed here. 

My questions are:

- Is there security in place as part of Upwork talent group that guarantees payment?

- Is there a specific payment process for Upwork talent group that I'm unaware of?

- Am I right to be suspicious? (the rates of this specific job are also abnormally high - 3 times the average, which makes me even more dubious).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Julie 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 13

No special protection.... you need to be as business-minded on the talent group as elsewhere. You should ONLY work on funded milestones. Here there was $ 5 funded and has not been released.

That means you should only have submitted $ 5 worth of translation....

What do you call an "abnormally high" per word rate by the way?

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
3 of 13

lol "abnormally high." This is what separates the men from the boys.

julie_cordier
4 of 13

Abnormally high = $0.065 /word for proofreading and editing only. I've worked in this industry for a few years now and I've never seen these types of rate. 

Ok, I'll let you know if I get a response from the client... not really holding my breath now, luckily I only did a few hours' work for them. 

petra_r
Community Guru
5 of 13

@Julie C wrote:

Abnormally high = $0.065 /word for proofreading and editing only. I've worked in this industry for a few years now and I've never seen these types of rate. 

That's indeed on the high side for proofreading.

I am a little upset you did "a few hours" of work for $ 5.... Smiley Sad

However, it could be a mistake. just, going forward, please work only on fully funded milestones. so if they want 1000 words proofreading they have to fund $ 65 for the milestone......

julie_cordier
6 of 13

@Petra R wrote:

@Julie C wrote:

That's indeed on the high side for proofreading.

I am a little upset you did "a few hours" of work for $ 5.... Smiley Sad

However, it could be a mistake. just, going forward, please work only on fully funded milestones. so if they want 1000 words proofreading they have to fund $ 65 for the milestone......

Actually the first $5 milestone was a placeholder.  It's the second (not funded) $185 milestone that I am worried about. 

The client just said "payment will be processed once we send the documents to the client", which doesn't really help me at all. She then proceeded to ask me if I could take on more work. 

I requested that they fund the second milestone, and create a third funded one for the next assignment. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 13

You're gonna have to decide if you want to play in these waters. Enterprise clients get away with a lot more and some of them do pay with their own terms. I would decide based on who they are and their history. Udemy paid at the end of the month and if you didn't like it, you could go scratch. But, they always paid too and they had $$$$ to back up it up.

As of now, you're only getting $5 but it's an enterprise client so who knows how they roll.

petra_r
Community Guru
8 of 13

Jennifer has a point. *IS* this an Enterprise client? 

julie_cordier
9 of 13

Yes it is an enterprise client.

They have created a third milestone, and explained to me that they understand my concern but unfortunately the upwork system is such that it does not allow to have several active milestones at once.

julie_cordier
10 of 13

They only seem to have good reviews, and have spent a lot of money on Upwork. Might give this one a month and see what happens? 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS