cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork vs YouTube

arpitjain240188
Arpit J Member Since: Sep 19, 2015
1 of 8

I think Upwork should treat it's Top freelancers from each country the way YouTube treats it's top Creators

YouTube arrange summits time to time and invite their Top YouTubbers to discuss suggestions and concerns they have to improve it's platform. YouTube encourage their top YouTubers in many ways so that they can keep that passion going.

I follow many popular YouTubers, and see how YouTube treat them so that they always feel excited and rewarded. I wish Upwork will also announce such programs for it's top freelancers from all countries, because I believe together we can make a bigger impact.

Does any one here have any news on it? Please share. Happy Freelancing!

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 8

@Arpit J wrote:

YouTube encourage their top YouTubers in many ways so that they can keep that passion going. For example they offer incentives / gifts / badges to YouTubers who achieve different milestones.

I'd rather Upwork concentrates on its core business rather than sink into cheep gimmikry.

I earn my money here.**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I need the platform to function properly, that's all.

I'd also object to my fee being wasted on nonsense like that.  This isn't Kindergarten.

reinierb
Community Guru
Reinier B Member Since: Nov 3, 2015
3 of 8

@Petra R wrote:

@Arpit J wrote:

YouTube encourage their top YouTubers in many ways so that they can keep that passion going. For example they offer incentives / gifts / badges to YouTubers who achieve different milestones.

I'd rather Upwork concentrates on its core business rather than sink into cheep gimmikry.

I earn my money here. I don't need "badges" and cr@p like that.

I need the platform to function properly, that's all.

I'd also object to my fee being wasted on nonsense like that.  This isn't Kindergarten.

Exactly. If you need "gifts", "badges", and "incentives" to be successful here, then Upwork is not for you. 

r2streu
Community Guru
Randall S Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
4 of 8

YouTube is social media and entertainment. They incentivize their top creators in order to remain relevant and keep their place in that culture. Basically, they do these things so Vimeo or some other service doesn't start becoming the go-to place for what YouTube provides. 

Upwork doesn't rely on that stuff because that's not their function. They don't make money when randos off the street watch a video and click on an ad. They make money when WE do, and therefore their retention program revolves around helping freelancers continue to make money. 

Trinkets and badges don't grow my business. Getting work and doing it well do. Concentrate on that. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 8

Arpit: I commend you for thinking outside the box and suggesting novel ideas.

You are correct in your choice of this Community Forum as the venue for proposing and discussing such an idea. MANY positive changes in the Upwork platform have started out just like this.

If this particular idea gains support, it could very likely be implemented in some form. If this particular idea does not gain support here in the Forum, that's okay too. I hope that won't dissuade you from participating in other Forum discussions or suggesting other ideas for improving the platform.

jmlaidlaw
Community Guru
Janean L Member Since: Apr 6, 2016
6 of 8

Quote from Arpit: "I follow many popular YouTubers, and see how YouTube treat them so that they always feel excited and rewarded."

Arpit, your fundamental premise is solid: Freelancers (perhaps most especially those who are Top-Rated?) likely perform best when they "feel excited and rewarded."

As it happens, I feel excited and rewarded when I earn many, many lovely dollars through Upwork. That experience is what greatly motivates me and tends to keep me in the ranks of Upwork's Top-Rated freelancers.

...OTOH: A nice coffee mug wouldn't come amiss...

r2streu
Community Guru
Randall S Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
7 of 8

I mean, who'd say no to a nice coffee mug. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 8

Arpit:

By the way, Upwork doesn't necessarily popularize or publicize everthing it does, but it DOES send out congratulations notices when freelancers reach certain milestones.

Upwork sends out physical gifts to freelancers, such as decals, patches, and T-shirts.

Upwork also has "Top Rated" and "Rising Talent" badges.

Some of the concepts you are talking about area already in place, although they might not match YouTube's implementation.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS