🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Upwork wants me to pay them money
Page options
katie_zimpel
Community Member

Upwork wants me to pay them money

A payment made to my account has been reversed by my client’s bank. So now Upwork is asking me to pay that money back or to contact my client.  They've also block my ability to withdraw funds until I pay the money back. 

Why should I contact my client if there's a problem with HIS billing method? Isn't that Upwork's jobs? Why am I paying all these fees to Upwork to verfify and secure payment if they're not going to verify and secure payment? 

I shouldn't be punished and have my hard earned money taken away because Upwork is not doing it's job. This is disgusting. I'm a Top Rated designer and have paid thousands in fees to Upwork. 

49 REPLIES 49

As you can tell, I'm not ready to let this go yet. Haha.

Katie - If you have tracking snapshots of the hourly work you did, and if you have memos in those snapshots, you have Upwork's protection for those hours that you worked. You have never said whether you have such tracking for your work so it is a bit difficult for anyone here to try and help you.

Joan S wrote:

You have never said whether you have such tracking for your work

Time to drop it. No answer is an answer. It's obvious that the hours weren't protected. No point beating a dead horse.

Oh, OK, Petra - sorry if I offended you.

Katie A wrote:

As you can tell, I'm not ready to let this go yet. Haha.

I'm happy to hear that you are cooperating with Upwork as they work to resolve this matter.

Katie A wrote:

Also, what is being done about scammers stealing profiles and charging clients? 

If found, they are suspended and banned. It's something Upwork go after very aggressively, but suspending the freelancer and closing their account doesn't get the client their money back. Like you, that freelancer likely withdrew the money.

Usually the profiles aren't stolen though, they are "rented" or "bought"

If Upwork would add a tracker for usage of its VOIP voice/audio app, that would be yet another "evidence of work" for a freelancer in this sort of situation.

Katie A wrote:

Withholding my ability to withdraw ALL funds for ALL jobs is punishment. What if I needed that money to pay rent next month or other bills this week? Honestly. It's gross. 

The information you are sharing doesn't make sense. If the amount of funds you have available to withdraw exceeds what is owed, then the debt should be paid from those funds and you would get the rest. Are you claiming that you've paid what is owed yet still cannot withdraw funds? Do you have any funds from any jobs available for withdrawal or are you just making up a scenario with no relevance to your current situation? Are you of the belief that you should be allowed to take funds out while still owing the debt? 

Katie A wrote:

Of course I asked the client about this.  My issue is that I pay Upwork to handle the billing and payment process.  I pay them to verify and secure the client's funds. Clients can just call their bank and stop payments and freelancers have to pay the money back a month later? Is that how this works?  And then Upwork asks me to resolve this with the client.  And putting a hold on my ability withdraw all funds.  Why don't they cancel the client's account until they can prove they'll actually pay people? But no. Punish the freelancer. 

Examine the Upwork Terms of Service carefully. Point the CS rep to the specific section defining the service you have paid for and which you have now been denied. Ask them to meet the terms of the TOS.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Katie,

I understand your frustration with the issue that occurred with the payment on your contract. I've followed up with our team about your case and you'll receive an update on your support ticket soon. I see our team shared all the details about the status of your funds and changes in your account status. I also see our team advised about the available actions and steps as your disposal, and shared related Payment Protection requirements and guidelines. Please refer to your support ticket and continue communicating with our team since we can't discuss chargeback cases in the forums. Thank you.

To all,

I'd like to note that a few posts have been edited and removed from this thread for posting content not in line with our Community Guidelines. We'll notify the participants whose posts have been addressed, please be mindful of the guidelines when posting in the forums. Thank you.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths