Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork wants me to pay them money

katie_zimpel
Ace Contributor
Katie A Member Since: Aug 23, 2016
11 of 50

If the client's account was suspended then how am I suppose to contact this client? As Upwork asked me to do to resolve this matter?

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
12 of 50

Katie A wrote:

If the client's account was suspended then how am I suppose to contact this client? As Upwork asked me to do to resolve this matter?

You said earlier that you did contact the client about it. What did they say?

katie_zimpel
Ace Contributor
13 of 50

I just recieved a response from the client and he said Upwork made a error and he is working to resolve it. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 50

Katie A wrote:

I just recieved a response from the client and he said Upwork made a error and he is working to resolve it. 

Hopefully your client will tell their bank to stop the chargeback and repay Upwork the money they did chargeback. 

Then, if Upwork don't remove the hold on your financial account in a timely manner, feel free to post again so we can all shout loudly for you to get justice. 

As is, the client filed a chargeback and needs to fix it.

katie_zimpel
Ace Contributor
15 of 50

Withholding my ability to withdraw ALL funds for ALL jobs is punishment. What if I needed that money to pay rent next month or other bills this week? Honestly. It's gross. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
16 of 50

Katie A wrote:

Withholding my ability to withdraw ALL funds for ALL jobs is punishment. What if I needed that money to pay rent next month or other bills this week? Honestly. It's gross. 

Do you have any money coming in this week? When it goes to pending, the amount in the red will be deducted, so you would be officially "paying them back." 

katie_zimpel
Ace Contributor
17 of 50

I understand how the process works. I'm arguing that blocking my ability to withdraw funds is a punishment. On me. For something that's not my fault.  It's not a present or benefit is it? What if I needed that money today?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

fcca14
Ace Contributor
Ejaz u Member Since: Jan 13, 2018
18 of 50

Katie, if only your funds have been blocked to the amount which you are dealing with that specific $%$# client then it seems ok, but if UW has blocked ALL your funds, this is really not healthy, and rather unprofessional and whatever their TOS or TOr or whatever are, they cannot block funds in excess of the original ones due from that client. I hope some moderator will come in and put something really "positive" instead of the TORS, which are all meant just for freelancers. client is set free to do whatever it likes.

gilbert-phyllis
Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
19 of 50

Katie A wrote:

I understand how the process works. I'm arguing that blocking my ability to withdraw funds is a punishment. On me. For something that's not my fault.  It's not a present or benefit is it? What if I needed that money today?

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Maybe some of the other community members are tired of FLs who come into the forum throwing hissy fits about UW processes that are driven by the ToS. And tired of FLs who accuse forum regulars of toeing the party line any time they point out that whatever has transpired seems consistent with the ToS.

In any case, I agree with others that it sounds like this may have been an error. Annoying, no argument there, but sometimes mistakes do happen. Meanwhile, it sounds as if you actually don't need the money to pay rent or buy food this week, so maybe do yourself a favor and take a deep breath. If you think about it, it makes sense that UW would freeze your whole account -- if they have determined you need to repay that money, then it needs to come out of what you're earning from other clients because the money you earned from that client has already been charged back, right?

Meanwhile, you keep raging about being told to contact your client about this, but also said that you did contact the client. Withouth knowing the outcome of that conversation, nobody else can reasonably speculate about what happened or what needs to happen next. Obviously, you're not obliged to share that with us but since you put the situation out in the public forum, you shouldn't be surprised that people respond.

katie_zimpel
Ace Contributor
20 of 50

What's wrong with discussion on changing the TOS?  Why not advocate FOR the freelancer instead of against them?  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS