Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork wants me to pay them money

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
31 of 50

Joan S wrote:

Then, Amanda, why did Vladimir post Upwork payment protections?

I don't know, but you raise a good point that payment protection should have been in place for an hourly project (if I'm reading you right). I would be curious to know as well if the time was tracked with proper memos or not, but I don't think we will be privvy to that information. It's hard to know what really occurred here, and it would be nice to know if it's really a matter of Upwork failing or if it's a matter of not using time tracker appropriately (the chargeback aside, which is another issue). 

joansands
Community Guru
Joan S Member Since: Mar 18, 2019
32 of 50

Amanda - My understanding is that Upwork protects freelancers for hourly projects when they use tracking together with memos and appropriate activity levels. If a client does a chargeback, Upwork will protect the freelancer and eat the charge. That does not happen if the tracking is not used according to Upwork's guidelines. The fact that Katie has not answered the tracking questions makes me think that is the problem. Sometimes it is just easier to blame Upwork.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
33 of 50

Joan S wrote:

Then, Amanda, why did Vladimir post Upwork payment protections?

Moderators frequently post general information about Upwork policies and procedures to cover all bases, even as they (sometimes) give more specific responses. It is not always possible to accurately infer a subtext.

I'm inclined to think the OP has said all she wishes to say about the matter.

abinadab-agbo
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
34 of 50

Joan S wrote:

But, Katie, you still haven't said anything about the tracking you did for the job you are having a problem with.

She didn't answer the beeping question. She very likely won't, so maybe just move on folks.

katie_zimpel
Ace Contributor
Katie A Member Since: Aug 23, 2016
35 of 50

An update: Client got a scammer that was using somebody elses profile.  The scammer billed the client and recieved a bunch of money. Upwork didn't do anything so client called the bank to request a chargeback.

Upwork decided to suspend the accounts from all of his freelancers and demand money back from them or give them proof that work was done.  So they could give that evidence to the bank. 

Client has been trying to reach out to Upwork, but has been stonewalled. I've also had trouble getting legitimate responses besides, "Pay us the money back. We'll then try to work with the bank if you give us evidence. But no promises."

Seems unfair since I wasn't the scammer, but Upwork is wrapping me in with this anyways. 

abinadab-agbo
Community Guru
Abinadab A Member Since: Sep 26, 2016
36 of 50

Upwork would not limit your account if the client only charged back the sum paid to another freelancer.
At least, as far as I know.

ETA: And btw, nobody is stonewalling anybody. Dispute departments (internal and external) are deliberately understaffed.

The time you will waste as a result of a chargeback is the number one reason it's advised against at all costs.

Between the initiation and resolution (whether that be a cancellation or not) of the chargeback, you can expect at least 60-90 days to elapse.

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
37 of 50

Katie A wrote:

An update: Client got a scammer that was using somebody elses profile.  The scammer billed the client and recieved a bunch of money. Upwork didn't do anything so client called the bank to request a chargeback.

Upwork decided to suspend the accounts from all of his freelancers and demand money back from them or give them proof that work was done.  So they could give that evidence to the bank. 

Client has been trying to reach out to Upwork, but has been stonewalled. I've also had trouble getting legitimate responses besides, "Pay us the money back. We'll then try to work with the bank if you give us evidence. But no promises."

Seems unfair since I wasn't the scammer, but Upwork is wrapping me in with this anyways. 

That's unfortunate. The problem is by issuing that chargeback, they violated TOS and now Upwork will automatically ban them. The way the weekly billing happens is that it's all one bill to the client. We don't get separate charges for each freelancer. So they likely had to chargeback a charge that included yours as well as other freelancers' payments.  This definitely becomes a challenge for Upwork to deal with because they are going to ban this client, and Upwork also has to fight the chargeback. So they have to place the hold on your account funds (even temporarily)  while they fight the chargeback. Remember, the chargeback is actually against you. So as much as you may like your client, they are the ones that chose to put you in this situation to deal with the scammer.   It is unfair, but Upwork is actually just requesting the information from you so they can fight the chargeback and give you your money. Remember? That's what you paid them to do? Really it's your client you should be upset with. They issued the chargeback on your payment and caused this whole mess. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
38 of 50

Katie wrote:

Seems unfair since I wasn't the scammer

It is indeed most unfair that the client asked the bank to chargeback the money from all the freelancers, rather than just go after the money from the one who allegedly scammed him.

katie_zimpel
Ace Contributor
39 of 50

I'm not sure if that's what exactly happened. Client said just the money from the scammer was requested back. But Upwork is trying to get evidence of work from the other freelancers to fight the bank on this scammer's charge. 

katie_zimpel
Ace Contributor
40 of 50

Also, what is being done about scammers stealing profiles and charging clients? 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS