Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork, you make me laugh

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natalia G Member Since: Jun 8, 2008
1 of 22
So for months and months (since stats were rolled-out) in my stats: Long-term clients: 20% Now, I finally get a contract, and the client hires me 3 times within a week, (although only 2 contracts as one was set up as a milestone) leaves 5 stars in both contracts and now (I just finished the second contract 2 hours ago): Long-term clients: 18% But everything else stays the same. I know there was something to do with long-term client being clients who work with you over a period of 4 months or something along those lines. But being hired twice by the same client should NOT make this score go down! Sigh...
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 22

Hi Natalia,

Only clients that you work with and get paid by regularly for 90 days on any contracts would be counted as your long-term clients. So these recently closed contracts are not long-term and therefore the percentage went down.

For example, if you had 10 contracts total and 2 of them were long-term that would mean 20% of all your contracts were long-term. Now you have 12 contracts total and still 2 of them are long-term. Therefore the percentage of long-term contracts is lower now.

Still,  if these contracts were completed successfully, they will contribute positively to your Job Success score.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Nhung Thi D Member Since: Mar 11, 2015
3 of 22

Hello,

Here we go again with JS percentage. Mine dropped from 99% to 94% to day for hidden reasons. My 4,97 star bearly changed from long time ago, since many contract ended with 5-star, nothing is changed but the JS.

I used to have 17 contracts in progress, and because of that, my JS dropped dramatically. I contacted Upwork and got answer like as I had someny open but inactive contract. OK, I then sent my Clients many messages asking for ending the contract. I got all 5-star feedback. In mean time, my other contracts ended with 5-star feedback.

So when I ended the contract, I lost long-term customers. The point went down, my JS went down again. So what Upwork wants is we must take money out of the clients' pockets as much as possible in continuously period. HOW COME? IT'S OUT OF FREELANCERS' CONTROL. I ended contract and some clients told me they would want the contracts open. So rather then we freelancers have to be punished, Upwork should work it better. I'm in the between, want to keep Clients but cannot make Upwork happy.

THAT JS IS SO FUNNY AND ANNOYING! I HAVE DECIDED NOT TO CARE ABOUT IT ANYMORE, IT MAKES ME SAD WHEN I SEE MY JS KEEP BEING SUBTRACTED FOR HIDDEN REASONS and then I must worry what to do to regain the point. No way, I don't have time for it. Just go ahead and write in my profile some explanations. Some clients paid me 3 months in a row, then stopped as no more work but maybe for future. I cannot take their money every month, can I?

I'm just so angry! I may have to end all the contracts I have immediately once one is done, then I don't have any long-term clients at all. What will happen to my profile?

Regards,

Highlighted
Nhung Thi D Member Since: Mar 11, 2015
4 of 22

Well, I wrote a few sentence to explain about my JS in overview, It was saved but didn't appear in my profile and here is what Upwork "suggested":

"Highlight your strengths and let clients know why they should hire you. Read a good example and a bad example of an overview statement".

Well... So they know what I'm writing and posting!!!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
5 of 22

@ Thi Nhung

Long-term contracts count positively to your account but is not a detractor. So having less long-term clients does not affect you negatively. I hope that is clear.

Basically long-term clients equals a +ve, no long term clients does not equal a -ve.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Community Guru
Bojana D Member Since: May 2, 2011
6 of 22

Hey Valeria,

Has the team considered adding a metric for repeat business in the stats? Long term contracts are a good indicator of one's performance and the parameters currently set for a contract to count as long-term are pretty reasonable. However, getting repeat business is also an important mark - sometimes even more so because long-term contracts are often dependant on project duration, while repeat clients have had their project finalised and were so happy with the outcome that they went through the trouble of seeking you out and hiring you again. 

I think it's a neat indicator to have and it'll cover situations like the one Natalia described. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
7 of 22

Hi Bojana,

No, we don't expect to add a metric that is based strictly on getting rehired by a client. Instead, the benefit of this is accounted for by the Feedback and other ratings you would get for these  additional jobs. And, as mentioned by Valeria, if you get paid by the same client (even if it's on different jobs) for an extended period of time, you're going to get the additional benefit of having long-term clients as well. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natasa R Member Since: Feb 2, 2012
8 of 22

Bojana wrote

Has the team considered adding a metric for repeat business in the stats? Long term contracts are a good indicator of one's performance and the parameters currently set for a contract to count as long-term are pretty reasonable. However, getting repeat business is also an important mark - sometimes even more so because long-term contracts are often dependant on project duration, while repeat clients have had their project finalised and were so happy with the outcome that they went through the trouble of seeking you out and hiring you again. 

I think it's a neat indicator to have and it'll cover situations like the one Natalia described. 

Garnor wrote

"No, we don't expect to add a metric that is based strictly on getting rehired by a client. Instead, the benefit of this is accounted for by the Feedback and other ratings you would get for these  additional jobs."

@Garnor - Why not? Realistically speaking, part of the client satisfaction is returning clients, so why would Upwork want to ignore such metric? And how exactly will the benefit of this be accounted for by the Feedback and other ratings? In what way, how? Can you please explain? 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natalia G Member Since: Jun 8, 2008
9 of 22
Right, OK it makes sense that my percentage of long-term clients went down then, although OBVIOUSLY TOTALLY UNFAIR... If that score goes down, will my overall score go down? So the stats are supposed to update twice a month, right? And the fact that mine updated just a couple of hours after ending my contracts? But nothing else was updated... So, some things update, some things don't... I mean, DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW STATS REALLY WORK? LIKE, REALLY? Did someone write and algorithm and then died with the secret? I mean, I want better answers than : "They update minimum twice a month" When do they update, and why then? Why do they not update immediately as COMMON SENSE would dictate? Why do they seem completely random, like being penalized if a client withdraws an invitation before I have had the chance to reply (THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME and OTHERS, they have provided PROOF so please STOP DENYING IT!) Why is no-one FIXING mistakes like the fact that 9 out of 10 or less private feedback score left from clients impacts negatively on freelancers (This is DESTROYING people's careers) Why do you have time to make a new website etc, but not to address the REAL ISSUES? OMG just fix it will you!
Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
10 of 22

Workup/oLance/eBook whatever - forget the name, listen to the anger. It's palpable. It's like painting the outside of a building where lots of abuses are going on inside and putting on nice new reception staff with burly security staff behind them.

"Did someone write and algorithm and then died with the secret?"

That's really what it feels like. The dark score - it's agreed that it's there, but no one knows what it is, or how it works.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS