Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upwork, you make me laugh

Highlighted
Community Guru
Chris M Member Since: May 6, 2015
11 of 22

Hi Stephen B,

I can understand the recognition of the palpable anger within the Upwork community - but if you want many more signs then go across to the Elance conference rooms where Elancers are palpably angry and very very worried about  being invited to join Upwork - with the strong possibility that the Elance site will eventually be closed.

I'm an Elancer and Upworker, I haven't duplicated my Elance profile over to Upwork yet. I made a heartfelt plea to the Elance/Odesk developers and CEO to keep Elance open indefinitely. I just hope that it is heard.

Do you know of any way to contact the CEO of Elance/Odesk via email?

Do you think the 'powers that be' in both Elance/Upwork actually read all these community forum comments? I sincerely hope they do and I sincerely hope they act on them.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
12 of 22

@Chris M wrote:

....Elancers are palpably angry and very very worried about  being invited to join Upwork - with the strong possibility that the Elance site will eventually be closed.

...Do you think the 'powers that be' in both Elance/Upwork actually read all these community forum comments? I sincerely hope they do and I sincerely hope they act on them.

Shuttering Elance is a certainty, as disclosed by the CEO in a media interview.

Another certainty is that executive management does not read all these comments. The job of our community managers, as I understand it, involves judicious decisions about what forum content gets passed on where within Upwork. For example, Lena has more than once referred engineering to a forum thread when there are multiple descriptions of a common system problem. Presumably the community managers have channels, direct or further filtered, to executive management.

Best,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
Gabor K Member Since: Apr 1, 2015
13 of 22

Looks like it's hard to hire a good website developer/programmer to do this job properly.

Well, at least there are freelancers on Upwork with these skills. Why not hire one of them?
Wait, have they just fled?

Ever seen the movie 'Jurassic Park?  The unpredictability of huge systems - Chaos Theory.
That's what is in work there, instead of a real algorithm - or so it seems. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
14 of 22

@Gabor K wrote:

....Well, at least there are freelancers on Upwork with these skills. Why not hire one of them?

About half Elance's engineers, if memory serves, are contract workers. I have no idea what the proportion is on Upwork (apart from Elance), although I suspect it's greater than zero.

Best,

Michael

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
15 of 22

Natalia,

So true. I also don't understand why they update the JS score but some other metrics it is apparently based on don't change.

After my JS score dropped a week ago I was finally told that it is due to one negative private feedback. Which should affect the "clients who recommend you" statistics. They were still at 100% then even though the JS dropped more than 10%.

I was told it would go down too - because one client really doesn't want to hire me again.

A week later it's still 100%?? This makes everything so confusing - updating different stats at different times, especially when they are (seemingly) interrelated. 

Update: More than one month later is still hasn't changed. Yet. Apparently it is only updated every 5 contracts... so now that my JS score is increasing with every update I am waiting for my "clients who recommend you"-statistic to finally drop...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Natasa R Member Since: Feb 2, 2012
16 of 22

"Did someone write and algorithm and then died with the secret?"

Spot on, Natalia! 

Highlighted
Community Leader
Sadan M Member Since: Sep 3, 2010
17 of 22

The treatment of a disease starts when the patient accepts that he/she is diagnosed with the disease but if the patient is not willing to accept that he/she is suffering from disease than there is no way you can start the treatment.

Similarly, Upwork/Odesk is actually not ready to accept the fact that the JS algorihm is buggy,flawed and does not work the way it is suppose to work despite numerous valid concerns has been raised against this algorithm. Yesterday in the Town Hall Meeting I asked a question from Garnor that freelancers should be told all the variables how this JS is calculated because at the moment it is not working the way it is suppose to work. I got the same response which is usually given here on the forums that it is working the way it is suppose to work and I should check the help pages for information about the variables. I asked a follow up question stating that after ending 3 successful contracts where the clients told me that they are giving me full private feedback and gave me 5 star public feedback why my score went down by 5% and Garnor skipped this question intentionally where as every where on the forum he has been saying that this GREAT algorithm counts past 24 months of contracts with a focus on more recent work that has been done. If this is the case than my recent work should push my JS score higher as opposed to going down by 5%.

I am convinced that this is actually a strategy by Upwork/oDesk team to keep denying and insulting freelancers by claiming that things are working the way they are suppose to work till freelancers stops complaining about them. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
18 of 22

Sadan

I am agree with you the algorithm only work when a client give a bad private feedback not when the client give a positive feedback as i undestand the algorithm only count bad things about the freelancers and the good thing will turn next year or two because it count past 24 months.

So when your these feedback will get older one or tow years  your JS will get increase by the highliy sensitive algorithm the"Robot"

Highlighted
Community Guru
Gabor K Member Since: Apr 1, 2015
19 of 22

What the what?

By the time one could get there for the JS score to move upwards (a few months required, it looks like that), his/her account will have been long time suspended (because going below 75% triggers a potential suspension). 

Repeating the same, "beginner-customer-service level" answers will not get anyone anywhere, but if it's done frequently, it could get people thinking something - namely, why is it so hard to get a straight answer? 

And this should not be this way at all. We pay more to oDesk (by our 10% work fee, let alone buying Connects, if needed) than one would pay for an itermediary firm, what deals with getting jobs. So, we deserve to be treated with a high level of integrity. 

This is slowly getting to a level of a bad joke. I have studied IT and programming and let me tell you, having such bugs in code would get you straight out of any freshman class, let alone letting it run a huge service like oDesk/Upwork is. Please, don't do this to your freelancers. For if you forget to put in the screws, how long will the engine run by itself?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Khadezatul K Member Since: May 1, 2015
20 of 22

I have 2 open jobs that I am working on it. They also love my works and they wants me again and again.

Between 31st may  to 14th june,I completed 3 successfull job with 5star and good review. I built a good relationship with these clients. They were too much satisfied my work. I think they will not gave me private bad score.

• 31st may=====My JS 100%
  • 14th JUne====My JS 88%

Now,I am asking whats the exact reason that my JS score below 90%? I would like to know what is my fault, what did I wrong?

If I know whats the problem ,then how can I be able to change myself . 

Why Its happening with us?

Why you are not giving us a solution or answers? 

Please give us an answer that we can work properly. Its a very much frustrating news that day by day without notice,without any reason we are getting punishment.

We are too much upset.

We love Upwork. Upwork supposed to love us and take care of us.

~~!! my english is poor. please forgive me !!!~~~

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS