cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent: Contract ended: Do I have to give a refund?

Cristina G Member Since: Jun 28, 2013
1 of 5
Hi Freelancers, I have a question. A Contractor ended a fixed price job because he was not happy with my work. He has not paid me, but in the information page about the contract is written the following: amount paid: x00 ,give a refund, (this is the money I should have received for this current job) amount agreed: x00 (this is the money I had for previous jobs, no problem with this) So I am a little confused...i have to give a refund even if the client has not paid me? I have checked on my pending earning and there aren't any money in it. What I have to do? Thank you all fr your answers.
Community Leader
Stefan C Member Since: Nov 1, 2011
2 of 5
Click on the "refund" button and you`ll get your answer - [quote] you are only allowed to refund up to the amount earned on this contract less already refunded amount[/quote]
Cristina G Member Since: Jun 28, 2013
3 of 5
Thank you Stefan. I have done how you suggested and I refunded the money back. I still do not understand why the amount refunded did not appear on my pending earnings before. And also how is possible I could refund an amount that I haven't actually received like payment? Is it because the contractor payed the money in advance in the system? Thank you
Community Leader
Stefan C Member Since: Nov 1, 2011
4 of 5
Okay, now you got me a little confused. You mentioned that your client has not paid you.. so you can`t possibly refund him than 0, you will be redirected to the refund page where you can issue a refund to your client. You can only refund up to the amount earned on that contract minus the amount already refunded. Now, you also mentioned that you have checked the pending earning there aren`t any money. Just to make sure, check your Transaction History page and see if there is any transaction from that client. If nothing from that client shows on the transaction history, there must be some sort of bug that allowed you to refund him, since it is NOT possible to issue a refund if you haven`t been paid. If that`s the case, you may want to contact support. If you choose to refund a client or not it is pretty much at your sole discretion. Nobody can really force you to do that unless there is a good reason involved - "not happy with my work" is not a good reason, oDesk does not guarantee the work quality(and it does not guarantee fixed price jobs.. well, that`s how this marketplace works). If you ever decide to refund a client, make sure you refund him after the money is available in your oDesk balance(not in pending or scheduled). If you refund a client while his payment is on *pending* or *scheduled*(that pesky "security period") mode, the refunded amount will be deducted from your oDesk balance, and if your oDesk balance is not enough, your payment method will be charged. It`s also not that "safe" to refund money when your client`s payment is in *scheduled* or especially *pending* mode, since there is not guarantee oDesk got a hold of the money. Sorry if I`ve confused you with my 1st message..
Poonam S Member Since: Aug 11, 2011
5 of 5
If you did not get paid there is no question of refunding the client. If you received an advance payment for the job and the client is not satisfied then you may refund on moral grounds, it's not compulsory to refund.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS