🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Urgent | Unable to Accept Invitation to inter...
Page options
ncourchamp
Community Member

Can't reply to invite

Hello,

I received a proposition to apply for a job and when i accepted and tried to submit my proposal it didn't work and I got the message :

"Invalid opening status"

I searched online, including on the forum session of Upwork, but I can't find an answer to what this message could mean. Any idea ? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Swathi,

In general, this happens when the job post associated with the invitation is no longer available or was closed by the Upwork team. You can confirm this by going to Find Work > Proposals and checking that this particular invite is not under the "Invitations to interview" section. You may still see the notification from when you were invited but since then the client has either hired another freelancer or decided they would not be hiring and closed the job post.

Hope this helps,

~Andrea
Upwork

View solution in original post

143 REPLIES 143

Thank you 

Faisal S wrote:

I got an invitation from client last night but I don't have any option to apply.

Often that means the client has already chosen someone else or the job post has been closed.

aelsisy
Community Member

when I try to repond to an Invitation I have no column or place to send a porposal, message or even declind or accept it, and I'm worried of the percentage of interviews responding (Jss) if its consider that I don't respond to the interview, Thank you

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Ahmed,

Our team will reach out to you via ticket as well and will assist you further. Rest assured, the response time to your invitations is not affecting your JSS. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you Goran

aelsisy
Community Member

Have no problem with this, I'm just worried about the jss

petra_r
Community Member

ahmed e wrote:

Have no problem with this, I'm just worried about the jss

Why? Your JSS is in NO way affected by whether you respond to invites or not.

aelsisy
Community Member

no Its effected by how long it takes to responed to an invitation, If its consider that I dont respond to it 

petra_r
Community Member

ahmed e wrote:

no Its effected by how long it takes to responed to an invitation, If its consider that I dont respond to it 

No, your JSS is absolutely nd categorically NOT affected by whether and when you respond to an invite. In np way. Never has been

Your "Responsiveness Score" can be affected if you fail to respond in a timely manner to LOTS of invites. But nobody can see that and it doesn't affect you in any way, let alone affect your JSS.

This is the third posting I've read about this happening (one of which was mine). I first noticed this last weekend and they were opening a support ticket (I'm on now searching for it to see if anything has been reported). I noticed it again last night. Before posting my original post last weekend I noticed someone had been hired and wondered if that had anything to do with this, and that was the case again last night. I still think that's the case, but what puzzles me is that the Upwork administrators don't seem to be aware of this...none of them. That's very puzzling. Why are they opening support tickets all over the place if the solution is so simple?

the thing is client close the job,

if that is the case, then a notification should display that: A job has been awarded! A job has been closed and you are no longer apply. Something like this for better UX.

yes I agree 

I was invited to apply to a job and wanted to accept the invitation...but strangely, there were no buttons to accept or decline. Could there be some relationship between this and the job posting page showing there's been one hire, even if the history didn't show anyone? This has never happened to me before; just last week I responded to an interview request that also said one person had been hired (in cases like these I always ask the client if the position is still open before going through the trouble of writing a proposal, but this time I wasn't given the opportunity to do so...) Has Upwork made a change? Are they now making it impossible to respond to invitations when a hire has been made?

Hi Bettye,

Could you please send me a PM with the job post like you're referring to so I can check this for you?

~ Joanne
Upwork

I would PM you, Joanne, if I saw an option to do so. I click on your name and get a page that says your profile isn't public and a listing of the posts you've responded to...no contact option listed anywhere.

Hi Bettye,

I just sent you a PM with the title "Test". Feel free to follow up there with the details so that I can assist you further.
To send a PM you will simply need to click on the person name in the Community > once you're taken to the new window click on the Send a Message button to start your PM. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

While checking for updates on this, I found two other postings reporting the same problem, and since my original posting the same thing happened to me again...I went to respond to a job and there was no Accept/Decline button. Like the first job, there had been a hire made on this job as well. I'm more convinced than ever that this is the reason for there not being an Accept/Decline button, but this appears to be a new feature. But wouldn't admins be aware of this" The other two postings resulted in admins saying they were going to open support tickets, which suggests they are just as puzzled as the rest of us.  

Can someone please tell me what's going on??

I cannot accept an invitation to submit a proposal. When I log in it simply says proposal not found. Please can someone assist? Thanks a million. 

Hi Christopher,

It looks like this invite was archived because the job post was removed. You can confirm this by going to Find Work > Proposals and checking the Archived tab. You may still see the notification from when you were invited but the job post is no longer available.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hi

I received an invitation for interview and it is impossible for me to accept it from my UpWork account. Accept invitation button is gray.

Only alternative, take through the mail of UpWork.

But when I take by mail to answer the invitation I receive the following message

Invalid opening status

I need help to answer the invitation. I need to get the job.

Here is à link of invitation

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

And here is the job involved

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

petra_r
Community Member

Martial A wrote:

I need help to answer the invitation. .

The job post has been taken down. That is why you can't accept the invite anymore.

Martial A wrote:

I need to get the job.

You can't. 

a82ee62c
Community Member

Here is the activity on the job

petra_r
Community Member

Martial A wrote:

Here is the activity on the job

It says This job is no longer available right at the top with a big red exclamation mark...

That means you can't apply.

Hi Martial,

I would like to clarify that the job post was already closed and that is the reason why the button is greyed out. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Ok

Thank you Goran !

Hello!

I received an invite but there is no answer button

There used to be a button in the upper right corner so that I could write an answer, but now there is no button there. The work is active, it was not closed, there is no client among the blocked ones - I checked by the client's name - it was not found in the correspondence, which means I could not block it.
Where is the button? 🙂 I want to reply the invite 🙂

Hi Sergiy,

I checked and would like to clarify that the job post for the invitation you're referring to is no longer available. 

You may still see the notification from when you were invited but since then the client has either hired another freelancer or decided they would not be hiring and closed the job post.

~ Nikola
Upwork

If he hired someone, or the vacancy is closed - this should be seen in the job description, but for some reason I don't show me that the client has hired someone, or the job is closed, it's strange.
It turns out that only the administration of Upwork sees this?
Thanks for the information.

===============================================

https://www.upwork.com/jobs/~01d72a8384097926f0

Activity on this job

• Last viewed by client: 

4 hours ago
  • Interviewing: 3
  • Invites sent: 11
  • Unanswered invites: 11

It happens twice for me now.. Please help.

My inbox was slammed with invitations to interview.

As I am cleaning them out I click "decline" button on the email. It takes me to the Invitation to Interview page for the job, but there are no buttons on the page to decline and provide a reason.

Hi Cheryl,

In general, this happens when the job post associated with the invitation is no longer available. You can confirm this by going to Find Work > Proposals and checking if the particular invite is still under the "Invitations to interview" section.

~Andrea
Upwork

I got an invitation for job but it haven't any option to apply or accept, and also I can't submit a proposal which posted by client.

How can I apply ?

Thank you

Have a good day!

Hi Pmd,

It looks like the job post you're referring to has been closed and this is why you're unable to reply to the invite/submit a proposal.

~Andrea
Upwork
bace23f2
Community Member

##- Was it effect for me as a freelancer on upwork platform -##

Hello there!

This is the job post that I am referring to:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Yesterday, I got invited to the above job and as I was replying to the invitation, I noticed that the reply wasn't going through. On further inspection, I realised that the job was 'probably' mistakenly closed by the client while making it 'Private'. This might be possible because the client is new to the Upwork platform.

Is there any way the moderators can communicate to the client and know about the actual status of the job, as in if the job was voluntarily closed without an answer from the freelancer (me) or if that was just a mistake? I would really appreciate it if the moderators can help in any way.

Thank you!

Ankur S wrote: I realised that the job was 'probably' mistakenly closed by the client while making it 'Private'.

It wasn't made private. 

What makes you think the client closed it by mistake?

Is there any way the moderators can communicate to the client and know about the actual status of the job

No. That isn't going to happen. The current status of the job is that it is no longer available.

The End.

I'd not work with that client anyway.

Hello to everyone reading this question,

This morning I have received an invitation to interview but when I clicked on "Respond" it opens a page with no "Submit proposal" or even "Accept -" or "Decline the interview" button. The job description is something I do like and I fit the skills and other requirements (not all but most of them). I can't find it in the "Invitations to interview" section but I can open it from the "Alerts"; still - no button to click on at all. I do not see anything about whether the job is open or closed. When I try to open any other job I can see all the buttons but not for this job. I still have one hourly job that I am currently working on but if that was the problem I am assuming that I would not be able to click on the submit button on any job and yet I can, so that is probably not be the problem. I can click on the "copy (job) link" but it does nothing at all. I can only see the client's name and other information about them from the invitation, the job title and description (all about the job), skills and other requirements, etc. but not a single button to click on, except that "Copy link".

What could be the problem and how do I fix it?

Thank you in advance!

Hi Dragana,

I can confirm this job post is no longer available and that is the reason you're unable to respond to the invite. It looks like, since the time you were invited, the client has hired a different freelancer. From the invitation, you can go to View job posting and check this on your end. You'll see that one freelancer was hired by checking the Activity on this job section.

~Andrea
Upwork

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. It turns out that this was the case and I have
just found out that it was from one of my previous clients. I was a little
bit confused because there was no "This job is not available anymore" or
any other explanation as to why I can not accept or decline the invite. I
can also not see that the client has already hired a freelancer, just that
they are interviewing one. That was another reason why I was confused.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths