Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent answer required please

Highlighted
Nisaim P Member Since: Jan 12, 2015
1 of 7

Hi guys, 

I am new to odesk so whenever I have a problem I look forward to you people.

I have done a job that was an hourly job and the bill was due this week. Now today the client contacted me and told me he has some issues in his bank account and he could not able to transfer it via odesk so he needed my paypal. I said okay and I provided him the id (that was a stupid thing to do I think) now he doesn’t know how to end the invoice odesk generated so he told me that he I going to file a dispute so that he can end the bill and he will pay me via paypal or payoneer. He is new to odek like me I don’t understand all this. Can anyone please help me?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
2 of 7

If you accept payment via Paypal you are breaking the site's TOS that you agreed to when you signed up.  If the client has a problem with his bank then he needs to rectify that through is bank and with oDesk himself.  If you accept any money outside of the platform, you and the client will get your accounts suspended and possibly revoked.  You need to tell him to rectify the situation with his payment method or you both may lose out.  

Also get yourself familiar with the oDesk rules and TOS this will save you a lot of heartache in the future.  Good Luck to you and I hope things work out.Smiley Very Happy

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 7

Nisaim,

I'm not sure what to tell you.

Nothing I say to you is going to change the fact that you broke oDesk's #1 rule, and then you posted a note here in the forum telling people that you broke that rule.

You should be aware that every post in this forum is read by moderators who work for oDesk.

Your only hope might be that you can plead ignorance and explain that you were manipulated by a client into doing the wrong thing, that you were doing what the client told you to. You *might* be able to beg for a second chance.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aseem B Member Since: Dec 20, 2014
4 of 7

Not only are you breaking the rules, as stated by Katrina, you are also compromising your profile by accepting his dispute as it will reflect badly on your profile and disputes can also get your account banned or suspended.

Another thing is that you will not be covered by odesk guarantee of payment if you accept the dispute. Try expalining to your client to pay you via odesk stating the rules. If he do not agree, then he is possibly a scammer who is trying to get his work for free. You can not do much regarding this, just report him to odesk and hope they listen.  

Highlighted
5 of 7

Now I am seriously worried. I should have asked you people before all this but meanwhile I posted it here, he filed a dispute and when I got the email from odesk, I read the terms and I came to know how bad a filed dispute can impact my profile. Also I didn’t accept any money from him and I asked him to contact to customer support other than asking me the ID, but he said he was in contact with customer support all day and they are not able to understand his problem. What do I do now?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 7

I don't work for oDesk, and I can't predict the future, but I can tell what I would tell my own sister if she got herself in this situation:

Contact customer support and explain to them that a client was trying to pay you outside of oDesk. Explain that you did not let him do so, but you feel like he is still trying to manipulate you.

Ask them to help you. Tell them you don't want any money from the project, you just want to be done with it and ask them if they can block the client from contacting you any further.

Be honest with them and answer any questions they ask you. Tell them you now know you made a mistake by letting that client talk to you about PayPal and stuff. Offer to send Customer Support your PayPal information and any account information they ask for so that they can verify any questions they have.

Highlighted
7 of 7

Thank you so much Sir. I am going to do thi right now. Thank you

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS