🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Use a diminutive form of a name
Page options
kruglovvv
Community Member

Use a diminutive form of a name

Hey, 

My full and legal name is Viacheslav. I have no issues in the account settings no Upwork, but the name is difficult to pronouce to non-Russian speakers. 

A diminutive form "Slava" is valid (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocorism#Russian) and much easier for my clients. Is it possible to change the profile name to use it? Important is that all goverment IDs and credit cards will have the full name.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, common "forms"of a name *ARE* allowed, such as Bill for William and Jim for James and Bobby for Robert.

This is also true for international names, it just requires manual approval. It is NOT an issue.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Viacheslav K wrote:

Hey, 

My full and legal name is Viacheslav. I have no issues in the account settings no Upwork, but the name is difficult to pronouce to non-Russian speakers. 

A diminutive form "Slava" is valid (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocorism#Russian) and much easier for my clients. Is it possible to change the profile name to use it? Important is that all goverment IDs and credit cards will have the full name.

Not sure if they'll let you do that, but you could just end your proposals and messages with "Thanks - Slava", or "Regards, Slava" and then your clients will get the idea.

dsmgdesign
Community Member

No, I don't think Upwork makes an exception here. Your name must be your real, verifiable name as found on a government ID. Agree with Christine, there's no reason you can't include it in your proposals and messages. There's also no reason why you can't include it in your profile description. Something like, "Hi, I'm Viacheslav. But my clients call me Slava."  Maybe it shouldn't be so conversational, but you get the idea. 

Yes, common "forms"of a name *ARE* allowed, such as Bill for William and Jim for James and Bobby for Robert.

This is also true for international names, it just requires manual approval. It is NOT an issue.

Hey Petra, 

Thanks a lot for your answer! Are you aware of the procedure? Shall I create a support ticket? Or just rename the account?

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

Viacheslav K wrote:

Hey, 

I used to think the word "diminutive" carried a negative connotation.

Makes me think of you as a midget, which you happen to be not.

I might have been wrong.

Anyways, Viacheslav is a very common Russian name, one I must have come across at least hundreds of times.

It is way easier for me to remember, and pronounce than that "Slava".

And I speak no Russian.

Fear not. If a client hires you and you do a great job, he will remeber "Viacheslav" very easily. He will find his way back to you, if need be. 

Abinadab A wrote:

Anyways, Viacheslav is a very common Russian name, one I must have come across at least hundreds of times.

It is way easier for me to remember, and pronounce than that "Slava".

And I speak no Russian.

Good point.

Purely based on personal taste, I actually prefer Viacheslav anyway. No idea why, just "feels" more "right."

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths