dojcin

Used Connects

Dear Freelancers,

This is for sure, in my opinion, one of the main problems that Upwork has.

A lot of freelancers "throw away" they're connects on "fake jobs", or on jobs that client posts, than goes away for a long time, or never returns to the job posting. This way, freelancers many times end up with no available connects , a lot before they're billing cycle. Now, this mostly affects people that are full time freelancers or freelancers that they're full time job doesn't give enough revenue. I my self lost a lot of connects submitting proposal on these kind of jobs, and almost always end up with 0 connects way before new billing cycle.I have meet some "clients" that post job, than play around with freelancers, and waste they're time and connects , which turns me mad, because I waste  connects and time on something stupid.

My suggestion for fixing this enormous issue is that Upwork doesn't allow clients to post jobs until they verify they're payment method. Of course, this won't completely fix this issue, but it will help a lot. And the next thing that has to be solved is connects used, but client never reviewed the proposal, or completely goes away, and doesn't return to the job posting. Hopefully, Upwork will do something to solve this.

Best Regards Fellow Freelancers,

Strahinja Dojcinovic

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
saydou

Good first suggestion Strahinja D, but suppose, I am shop owner and you are a new customer, will it be ok if I ask you to show me if you have money before you enter my shop? of course not it will be bit weird so I would rather give you some time to explore and check the products I sell before you decide to buy them.

Upwork's position is same as that shop owner they want new clients to explore things, see how it works and if they like the service they'll probably verify their payment method without anybody forcing them.

As to your next suggestion I have also seen many clients who post jobs and never look back, of course it frustrating but there are many reasons some of them are:- the client no longer needs it, the position is filled outside Upwork, it was fake, clients required skills are not met etc etc.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
saydou

Good first suggestion Strahinja D, but suppose, I am shop owner and you are a new customer, will it be ok if I ask you to show me if you have money before you enter my shop? of course not it will be bit weird so I would rather give you some time to explore and check the products I sell before you decide to buy them.

Upwork's position is same as that shop owner they want new clients to explore things, see how it works and if they like the service they'll probably verify their payment method without anybody forcing them.

As to your next suggestion I have also seen many clients who post jobs and never look back, of course it frustrating but there are many reasons some of them are:- the client no longer needs it, the position is filled outside Upwork, it was fake, clients required skills are not met etc etc.

Very good point here Kamaal !

Quote:

I am shop owner and you are a new customer, will it be ok if I ask you to show me if you have money before you enter my shop? of course not it will be bit weird so I would rather give you some time to explore and check the products I sell before you decide to buy them.

You are absolutely right here, and have a good point. But Upwork should develop new system for those new clients, to get familiar with the site.

Quote :

I have also seen many clients who post jobs and never look back, of course it frustrating but there are many reasons some of them are:- the client no longer needs it, the position is filled outside Upwork, it was fake, clients required skills are not met etc etc.

Because of those reasons, Upwork should remove those inactive jobs, and give the freelancers back they're connects. Now, this could be difficult.

For verified clients, that used to hire people, or still do hire (another job postings) Upwork should contact them, to check what is going on, and if the client no longer need the work done, to close the job, and give freelancers they're connects back, or if client is inactive, to simply close the job.

For those jobs that client doesn't have verified payment method, and go inactive, those jobs should immediately be removed, and connects given back to freelancers.

And for those clients that have verified method, but haven't hired before, and go inactive, should be contacted to check what is going on, if he doesn't respond, the job shoulde be removed, and connects given back to freelancers.

@Strahinja D wrote:

Because of those reasons, Upwork should remove those inactive jobs, and give the freelancers back they're connects. Now, this could be difficult.

For verified clients, that used to hire people, or still do hire (another job postings) Upwork should contact them, to check what is going on, and if the client no longer need the work done, to close the job, and give freelancers they're connects back, or if client is inactive, to simply close the job.

For those jobs that client doesn't have verified payment method, and go inactive, those jobs should immediately be removed, and connects given back to freelancers.

And for those clients that have verified method, but haven't hired before, and go inactive, should be contacted to check what is going on, if he doesn't respond, the job shoulde be removed, and connects given back to freelancers.

Agreed! I also suggested this before in few community threads I said if a client never hires anyone and the job expires everyone who bid it should get their connects back. I think it would have been fair. But we will wait offical response from community moderators.
However, Upwork's system automatically closes inactive jobs after 1-2 months of the original job posting.

Or Upwork should at least give us possibility to report inactive or fake job.

When first freelancer reprots inactivity/fake, than Upwork should automaticly notify all the applicants so they could share they're opinion. if enough freelancers vote/share opinion on the job posting, than job should be closed, and connects given back to freelancers.

@Strahinja D wrote:

Or Upwork should at least give us possibility to report inactive or fake job.

When first freelancer reprots inactivity/fake, than Upwork should automaticly notify all the applicants so they could share they're opinion. if enough freelancers vote/share opinion on the job posting, than job should be closed, and connects given back to freelancers.

You can. Flag the job post. Another thing is that in many cases no action has been taken.

P.S. sorry, it just stabs into my eyes. My English is awful, and I'm the last person who should correct anyone. But, 

they're = they are

their = possesive pronoun, the one you need to use

Just writing this in a good intention, and because I would like if people correct my sentences for criminal mistakes.

You can report it by clicking 'flag as inappropriate link in the job posting' (see the picture) but it's slightly different to what you suggested. Upwork takes down job posting if many freelancers flag it but no connects are given back.

As far as I know the only occasion where freelancer get their connects back is when a client cancels a job.

Flag.jpg

Hi Strahinja D,

We hear you. It's definitely not Upwork's intention that freelancers waste connects. Quite opposite we encourage freelancers to use their connects wisely and only apply for jobs that they are interested in and are sure they can complete. If a freelancer suspects the job they applied is violating Upwork ToS, they can flag it as inappropriate and the team will review it. The freelancer will get connects back if the job is removed as inappropriate.

- Aaron
Untitled
sivavranagaro

They can't restrict client's ability to post a job, because that'll drive away people. Today everything is about simplicity. People get mad if they have to click few times more, unecessarily, to get what they came for. And to verify payment, in place where you are not exactly sure how site breathes, how good freelancers are in average, takes many additional steps, which is frustrating for someone who just curiosly stoped by.

I totally agree with you sir.. This connect thing is near a scam.

Why ??? because there are so many fake jobs that you end up losing all your connect and then you must pay to get more. IT"S TOTALLY TO UPWORK Advantage to display tons of fake jobs.

All these sites. it's always about one thing and one thing only.. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Upwork is loosing a big customer base because of that **bleep**.. Freelancer give you 300

this is destroying my business

@Chrystian B wrote:

I totally agree with you sir.. This connect thing is near a scam.

Why ??? because there are so many fake jobs that you end up losing all your connect and then you must pay to get more. IT"S TOTALLY TO UPWORK Advantage to display tons of fake jobs.

All these sites. it's always about one thing and one thing only.. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Upwork is loosing a big customer base because of that **bleep**.. Freelancer give you 300

this is destroying my business

Most successful freelancers on Upwork never come close to using up their connects, let alone purchase more. It's not to Upwork's advantage to display fake jobs, because Upwork would rather get $1,000 in fees on a successful job than $2 on you purchasing connects to submit an extra bid. And, most experienced freelancers know how to avoid "fake jobs" for the most part--certainly to a great enough degree that they're not burning through connects on them.

If Upwork is losing anyone, it is freelancers who are having difficulty landing jobs. Those freelancers aren't of much use to Upwork, anyway. In fact, they drive paying clients off the platform. That's one reason Upwork is starting to boot people off the platform if they bid on too many jobs and don't get hired.

A third-party platform can't destroy your business. If you find that a certain platform isn't suited to your business, you simply find other ways to connect with clients that are more appropriate for your business. 

FWIW, I've never used all my Connects. Nor have I submitted a proposal to a fake job posting. As far as it being to Upwork's advantage to display fake jobs, I must disagree. Upwork makes more money when freelancers and clients form long-term relationships and have continued business together on the platform. A fake job may generate a few bucks from Freelancers buying Connects (which seems like a waste of $ to me and many freelancers here), but the cost that must be invested in the platform to host those jobs and provide customer support to scores of freelancers who fall for the trap of fake jobs and scams because they're not paying enough attention (harsh, but the absolute truth) far outweighs whatever revenue is generated by the purchase of Connects. If Upwork truly made a profit from freelancers buying Connects and applying to ridiculous job postings they wouldn't have instituted the 30 day hire/work policy. They wouldn't voluntarily set freelancers' profiles to private - they'd allow them to continue to buy Connects and make bad choices.