🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Used to get interviews and projects easil...
Page options
7e2bc12f
Community Member

Used to get interviews and projects easily, now the void

Hi, 

I'd like to share a recent unexpected experience.

I'm currently Top Rated, 100% success score, only 5 stars reviews and great feedbacks, several portfolio pieces.

A few months ago I used to get interviewed pretty easily, been invited a lot, and having with a good response rate.

Quickly filled up my pipeline and been busy for around 3 months.

Now that all the projects have been completed, I'm back looking for new jobs.

Here the unexpected is happening.

I don't even get a reply after dozens of proposals are sent.

My proposal style is always the same (tailored to the client and well researched).

My profile is, I believe, better than months ago, due to the new feedbacks and more portfolio pieces.

The only thing that changed is the hourly rate.

I decided to increase it by $5, going from $35 to $40.

I don't know what's going on, might be that that slightly increase cut me off from all jobs?

Has anyone ever experienced this situation?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
williamdt
Community Member

I have the same thing happening to me regarding invitations and I only increased my hourly rate by a mere $2.

Can someone please give us an idea of what is happening here? I updated my saved searches because I did not get scrolling jobs, thanks to good advice from the community but that did not help anything for the invitations.

bevcam
Community Member

@Willem - Firstly, work as a freelance writer tends to ebb and flow. Work can rush in and then there are periods of drought, so it's to be expected.

Looking at your profile I see a few grammar errors in your intro that shouldn't be there if you're a writer. That doesn't imply that you don't know your topic matter, it's just that English writing on your profile must be flawless if you say you're a writer. (I can see your first language is Afrikaans, but clients won't know that.) 

Also, why have you got so many closed contracts without feedback? Do you close them yourself? 

You need some good feedback from clients to build your profile and get a good JSS. 

The biggest thing that strikes me, though,  is that your rate is way too low for what you do. A low rate actually works against you because when it's so low people assume your skills are at the bottom of the ladder.

Rewrite your intro to sell yourself better and up your rate if you want to succeed on Upwork.

Best of luck! 

williamdt
Community Member

Hi Bev.

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate the feedback and will definitely give attention to all mentioned points.

Regards.

Willem

bevcam
Community Member

@Daniel - The same thing happened to me a few months back and it does seem to be much more competitive on Upwork this year. Although I'm not in the same line as you are, I'd say just push through and you'll win contracts again.

Clients also seem to be a bit more reluctant this year, so choose carefully. In my drought earlier this year I accepted some contracts that I normally wouldn't and wish I hadn't, but that's the way it is.

From a hiring perspective, your profile looks great to me. It tells the reader very quickly what you have to offer and refers to your portfolio, so you don't need more than that. I don't think your rate has anything to do with the drought you're going through now, either 😉  

7e2bc12f
Community Member

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

I decided to lower my rate and see if that makes a change after noticing that most of the jobs I applied for turned into hiring someone at a lower rate than mine.

I'll test and see how it goes.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths