Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using VPN

footpathbd
Md.Salah U Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
1 of 7

Hey,

I did use VPN for couples of weeks for no reason  but I was not sure if it breaks upwork T&C. Yesterday, I noticed that UPWORK emailed me that My upwork freelance account has been logged in for different location and requested me to clarify my country. I clarify them accordingly.

Today, upwork again noticed me that if they find any upwork rules violation  regarding logged in they will suspend my account.

Do you have any one who can assist me what I can do now ? Yes, I confees to them about using VPNs in reply message.

Thanks 

Salah 

nityamatwork
Nityam M Member Since: Jan 13, 2017
2 of 7

Hi Salah,

My quick advice. Without wasting any additional time compile al the information and contact support immediately by letting them know about your VPN use. Avoid any further use of VPN services as with every upgrade UpWork is bringing more chnages to ensure safety of freelancer's as well as client's so you may end up having a suspended account.

Take appropriate screen-shots of emails and share complete information so that in case 0.01% account get suspended you get a fair chance to highlight that you accept your mistake and it won't happen again.

Cheers.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
3 of 7

Hi Md. Salah,

Please, communicate with the team via the ticket and explain why there may be inconsistencies in your logs. They need to make sure there was no unauthorized access of your account.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

footpathbd
Md.Salah U Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
4 of 7

Hey,

In this case, how I can confees my unwise practice of using VPNs. I did not know  well enough about upwork T&C regarding diffferent IP location using VPN

Thanks 

markhylland
Ace Contributor
Mark H Member Since: Jan 12, 2016
5 of 7

Greetings,

I am an AMERICAN Paralegal and based in Los Angeles (I am a life-long resident of Los Angeles, even while serving our country abroad, Los Angeles was my home base--Voter Registration, Drivers License, taxes, ETC).

I often travel to the Philippines to visit my daughter and lecture at an international college. At times I MUST utilize VPN to access county/state websites. It is my understanding that if I travel/visit another country then I do not have to change my "location." 

However, I just received a message from Upwork informing me that you noticed logins from different locations. What must I do to have Upwork understand that in this global workplace, some of us travel abroad from time to time. 

I am an AMERICAN BASED freelancer.

nkocendova
Community Guru
Nina K Member Since: Nov 29, 2017
6 of 7

Hi Mark,

We would ask you to please update your open ticket regarding this concern with the information that you shared here, and we will follow up with the team that is handling your ticket as well.

~Nina
markhylland
Ace Contributor
Mark H Member Since: Jan 12, 2016
7 of 7

Hello Nina,

I immediately replied to the Upwork message and appreciate you following up with them as well. I want to make it very clear that I am an American based paralegal and my permenant residence is in the UNITED STATES. Moreover, when I am out of the country (lecturing, working, or visiting my 5-year old daughter) I must use a VPN to access certain American databases (court records, etc), as well as accessing client databases. I previously checked with Upwork and was told that there was NO Upwork violations. I do concede to the fact that at times I have been on the VPN and then switched over to my Upwork account without disconnecting the VPN. Furthermore, I do understant the benefit of being American based and can bid on certain jobs. However, being "based" in the Philippines would also give me a competitive edge as well. The most interesting thing here is that I have been with Upwork for nearly 3-years and in the begining I wanted to be "Philippines based" but was informed that I must be BASED from my residence (where my banking information is, utilities, drivers license, etc etc etc. In conclusion, I am AMERICAN BASED and not attempting to deceive Upwork or the clients. In fact, I do inform them when I am out of the country and many of them are thrilled to know that I am American based, yet experienced with the Filipino culture and have direct access to many other Upwork Freelancers. I will continue to do my part to ensure that I do not violate Upwork TOS. Thank you, Mark 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS