🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Using a VPN to protect my security while usin...
Page options
horgan_sean
Community Member

Using a VPN to protect my security while using Upwork???

I am an Upwork freelancer living in Indiana. I won't get into the details, but in the recent past, I've had some problems with my private data being exposed. Therefore, I am thinking about getting a VPN. Unfortunately, there aren't any VPNs that I know of that have servers in Indianapolis. I think the closest one is in Chicago (which is only three hours away).

I honestly just want to protect my information, and I have an Indiana ID to prove that I am a resident here and not someone living abroad (or anything like that).
Will Upwork flag me if I use a VPN?

If they do, can I just explain my situation and verify my identity by showing them my ID?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes. You might be asked to show your ID at some point, or do video interview verification. I have done those things, and it is to be expected.

It is unlikely that VPN issues would trigger such a request, but if they did, yes... showing your ID is probably all that would be asked.

Overall I think you are far more concerned about VPN than you need to be. Upwork really isn't the "VPN police". And they aren't the "IP address police." Lots of Upwork users use VPN.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
prestonhunter
Community Member

Upwork does not have any rules prohibiting users from using VPN.

But Upwork has many automated algorithms and procedures in place designed to identify misuse of their platform.

As long as you aren't using VPN to break the rules, you will be fine. If a freelancer was trying to use VPN to violate Upwork TOS, then there is a strong possibility that they would be caught and have their account suspended or terminated. Not for the VPN use, but for the rule violation.

Upwork is not going to look at your VPN and see it is located in Chicago and then require you to show Chicago ID. Upwork is going to look at your stated Indiana location and require that you show your ID confirming your Indiana location.

If their algorithm sees that I'm using a VPN, would showing them my Indiana driver's license be enough to show I am not abusing the platform? 

Automated algorithms flag things for Upwork to look into. They generally do not automatically take action.

And Upwork's use of internet-based geolocation identification is geared toward country-dissemblers.

Chicago and Indiana are in the same country. Don't worry about this. Nobody cares.

There might be an issue if (for example) you lived in Bangladesh and tried to use VPN to make it look like you live in Canada, and if you falsely claimed that you live in Canada.

That is a totally different situation.

There is no issue or danger with what you are describing.

Okay. That's good. Thank you so much!

I guess in the very off chance there is an issue with them, do I just show them my ID and explain my situation?

Yes. You might be asked to show your ID at some point, or do video interview verification. I have done those things, and it is to be expected.

It is unlikely that VPN issues would trigger such a request, but if they did, yes... showing your ID is probably all that would be asked.

Overall I think you are far more concerned about VPN than you need to be. Upwork really isn't the "VPN police". And they aren't the "IP address police." Lots of Upwork users use VPN.

Right on. I'm probably just overthinking it. 

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to help me!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members