🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Using markup in Profile text?
Page options
blastofflabs
Community Member

Using markup in Profile text?

Is there a markup language for the text on your Profile page?  I'd like to use a bit of bold, underlining etc. 

Unlike here in the discussion forums, there isn't any kind of markup bar for editing.  I tried some html tags like <b> </b> but no luck.  

Though perhaps some html-like tags might exist?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lanwanman
Community Member

In the old days on oDesk freelancers could include hyperlinks and other HTML. These days aside from ASCII characters, you are out of luck.

Ron aka LanWanMan

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
lanwanman
Community Member

In the old days on oDesk freelancers could include hyperlinks and other HTML. These days aside from ASCII characters, you are out of luck.

Ron aka LanWanMan

Steve, your desire to have some kind of markup or allow a bit of HTML in your profile is pure.

But this is not a change that is likely to happen because if this were available, a few contractors would abuse it.

It is much easier for Upwork to disallow this entirely than to allow it and have to deal with the small percentage of users who would abuse it and either make their profile page look like a 12-year-old's MySpace page from 1998, or try to insert auto-redirects to phishing sites.

Too much of a headache.

If you look at many profiles, you'll see that some of them are bad enough as it is when we only allow ASCII text.

A good writer only needs words to standout, and needs no markup.

THANKS Ronald, Preston, Nichola, and Hanna for your thoughtful answers!  I understand now. 

I just realized there is a "best answer" button... I was looking at Ron's answer and thought, "what is this ACCEPT" button? clicked it, lol. 

Anyway they are ALL informative answers, thanks... now I know it's a plain text environment, and probably for a good reason -- no problem!

I have to disagree, Preston. You're right in that allowing full use of HTML would lead to rampant abuse, but a markup language like markdown could provide basic stylistic elements without allowing people to go overboard and make terrible-loooking profiles.

I feel that a good designer uses all the tools available, both text and design, and I hope upwork changes its mind and decides to allow us the option to add styles to our profiles.

jonwong
Community Member

To Laura M:

Wow. This thread just helped me note down the Upwork team's capabilities (for hiring and partnering purposes). You're right, and I agree with you. Upvoted you, for whatever it's worth.

In response to Preston H...

Making your page look like a 12-year old's is, well, the 12-year old's choice. How does that affect you? I can't tell whether you are passive aggressively saying you don't want upwork to start looking like a cheap strip mall, and thus devalue your shop (a potentially valid argument if stated as such), or if you're trying to be the noble aesthetics police and minister of information science (not valid). And no, the link-to-nefarious-places objection is not a part of styling. No one is asking for full HTML access.

The answer is not to discuss HTML or even what HTML do we restrict, rather it is what styling might be provided that could enhance the readibility and organization of profile statements. Margin-honoring bullet-lists and MAYBE bold, italic, and underline are valid. Or, as I just did, would you prefer people just use ALL CAPS?

Yep, how about Upwork just provided "Rich Text" (RTF) formatting controls?
All the profiles could look so much more professional.

So we can mark up here....But not where we may really need it?  Or, "Never on Sunday"😃

Just kidding. But I would like someone to reveiw mine. I think it is too wordy or confusing. I almost used the text limit!!   - Dave

colettelewis
Community Member

Steve, I have read your overview and I think you have laid it out well and clearly, particularly the all-important first paragraph.

IMHO it doesn't need further enhancement (bolding, italics etc.).

This is just a personal preference, but when I think about other similar websites where Freelancers have the ability to use markup language in their profiles, or even websites like LinkedIn etc, I find the use of markup language quite tasteless and sort of annoying. It's a similar experience to reading a memo that someone else has made notes on. A profile where markup been used just makes me have this irritable feeling that the freelancer thinks other people are too stupid to pick up the important points on their profile. It just... seems out of place to me. 

jonwong
Community Member

To Hanna N:

Look at what Laura M said about "Markdown". It's named "Markdown" (not Markup) for a reason.

nycjoseph
Community Member

Seriously, you allow markup here but not in the profiles?  Actually all I was going to say is that allowing a numbered or bulleted list would be beneficial. Bold, italic, etc., are not necessary, but a formatted list would actually be good.

You know

• Like this so that descriptions are visually separated and flush properly if the text wraps
  • And only now since I'm here, WHY CAN I DO THIS HERE? This is the least likely place to need it.

Anyway, a formatted list would be a welcome addition for the profile.

Agreed.  Trying to organize the amount of information needed in this profile without even basic bold and italic has been a bit agrivating for me.  You can fake the bulletpoint list with •, but that unfortunately doesn't inset the text.  

I have been wanting to help create clarity and legibility with my profile.  I will add an example from my own profile below to show the difference between what we have now and what I would like to be able to do...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Digital Product Photography -
My current obsession is shooting high fashion and high end product photography. While I still love the nature and lifestyle genres, my goal is to master studio lighting and address every aspect of a shot to produce world class images.

• PACK SHOTS - If you need white or black background pack shots for Amazon and time is not an issue, please feel free to message me to inquire when my next pack shoot is scheduled to get in on my bulk discount pricing.

• STAGED PRODUCTS - If you would like your product shown in a staged environment rather than on a blank background, the project will require more time for planning and can possibly add cost if additional props, food items or other set decorations are needed.

• LIFESTYLE / APPAREL - If you require lifestyle or apparel assets, any needed additional charges can be factored into the bill including: Model Fee, Hair/Make-up Artist Fee, Wardrobe Stylist Fee, and Location Fee.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Digital Product Photography -
My current obsession is shooting high fashion and high end product photography. While I still love the nature and lifestyle genres, my goal is to master studio lighting and address every aspect of a shot to produce world class images.

• PACK SHOTS - If you need white or black background pack shots for Amazon and time is not an issue, please feel free to message me to inquire when my next pack shoot is scheduled to get in on my bulk discount pricing.

• STAGED PRODUCTS - If you would like your product shown in a staged environment rather than on a blank background, the project will require more time for planning and can possibly add cost if additional props, food items or other set decorations are needed.

• LIFESTYLE / APPAREL - If you require lifestyle or apparel assets, any needed additional charges can be factored into the bill including: Model Fee, Hair/Make-up Artist Fee, Wardrobe Stylist Fee, and Location Fee.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I would prefer the option to be able to use the latter.  If people want to add rainbows to their profile's text and create the 12 year old myspace profile page people keep mentioning, it can help clients weed out potentially unprofessional freelancers.  

Maybe it would be a good option to unlock rich text options once you have secured a certain amount of clients through the site, or have an introduction to profiles page that discusses using the text options sparingly and consciously.  

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths