🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Using online time tracking application
Page options
markzolotoy
Community Member

Using online time tracking application

I have installed that application. In order to enter time I simple turn it on. Is that correct? Does the app automatically upload hours, diary? also seems like the app is taking screenshots. Is it just me or everybody is ok with that?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
mwiggenhorn
Community Member

Turn it on and be sure it's showing the correct contract.  Add a memo explaining what you are working on and change the memo when you change tasks.  It will automatically upload the screenshots for you.  You can review the diary before Sunday evening (when the week closes) and delete any screenshots that aren't appropriate. (I sometimes forget to stop the tracker when I stop working).  If you do all of this, your payment is guaranteed (with some exceptions).  I have no problem with the screenshots - they keep me focused and on task.

Check out support.upwork.com for full information.

Where do I delete screenshots ? Is it a policy to have screenshots  of our work? Is it configurable?

Mark G wrote:

Where do I delete screenshots ? Is it a policy to have screenshots  of our work? Is it configurable?

In your work diary

If you delete a screenshot, you also delete 10 minutes of time. In other words, you don't get paid for segments without screenshots.

In some contracts you can use manual time if you really know and trust the client, but manual time is not protected. In other words, if the client doesn't want to or can't pay, you doon't get paid.

Can I upload screenshots myself?

petra_r
Community Member

Mark G wrote:

I have installed that application. In order to enter time I simple turn it on. Is that correct? Does the app automatically upload hours, diary? also seems like the app is taking screenshots. Is it just me or everybody is ok with that?

You turn it on when you start working on an hourly contract. It counts 10 minute segments with keyboard and mouse activity, and yes, it uploads them automatically to your work diary and bills the client automatically every Monday for the previous week's hours.

Yes, it takes screenshots. That takes some getting used to, but you get a pretty airtight protection in exchange which makes sure that if you work and use the tracker correctly, you will get paid.

Are you saying that a computer that I am working on cannot be used for anything else but the contract work? I also dont remember allowing to take screenshots.

Mark G wrote:

Are you saying that a computer that I am working on cannot be used for anything else but the contract work? 

Not while you're tracking time. Basically, if you track time from 4:30 to 6:30 pm for your hourly client, then during that time you are being paid to work on that contract, so yes, you should only use your computer for work on that hourly contract  from 4:30 to 6:30 pm.

Mark G wrote:

Can I upload screenshots myself?

No, that would completely defeat the purpose, wouldn't it??

<No, that would completely defeat the purpose, wouldn't it??

What I meant is to upload additional images of the work I am doing. How does it know what screenshots to take? How does it know when I read something on Internet it is related to the contract?

Example: Am email just came from Upwork, congratulations, here is 1000th contract. Of course I want to read it right away. But this is my personal email, boom here comes a screenshot. And a few medical records  have gotten captured. Is it a real scenario?

Mark G wrote:

What I meant is to upload additional images of the work I am doing. How does it know what screenshots to take? How does it know when I read something on Internet it is related to the contract?

"It" doesn't know. But as the client has full access to the screenshots, presumably the client will.

It takes the screenshots at random times once during every 10 minute segment. 
There is no reason for you to upload additional screenshots.

Don't overthink it. Do your normal work and let the tracker take care of the time keeping for you. 

Read my edited message.

I have been working on a report for a couple hours. Dont care about payment at this point. It took screenshots. Both idiotic. How is that for do not overthink it?

Mark G wrote:

I have been working on a report for a couple hours. Dont care about payment at this point. It took screenshots. Both idiotic. 

If you are working on an hourly contract and the tracker, do not real emails, don't have anything other than what you are working on open. That is time you are being paid for to work on the client's project. Not to read emails.

Here is how you can delete screenshots.

So, essentially we cannot use personal email to communicate with the customer after a contract has started?

Mark G wrote:

So, essentially we cannot use personal email to communicate with the customer after a contract has started?

Huh?

You don't track time the whole time a contract is open. You turn the tracker on, you work. When you want to stop working and read your personal emails, you turn the tracker OFF. When you are ready to start working again, you turn the tracker on again. Your neighbour comes around for a coffee, you turn the tracker off. You are ready to work again, you turn the tracker on. You want to play a video game? Turn the tracker off. You want to get back to work, turn the tracker on.

Tracked time is for time spent working on the client's project ONLY.

This includes emailing the client whose project you work with, but not reading emails that have nothing to do with the contract. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members