cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Utterly disgusted by Upwork's dispute resolution.

jvansteenwyk
Ace Contributor
Jason V Member Since: May 24, 2016
11 of 23

It's not the pop-up that's the problem. It's the useless requirement in the first place. 

Every screenshot is automatically annotated with the URL, or the name of the file being worked on. If these are self-explanatory, and adequately explain the work being done, along with the screenshot, and clearly and unambiguously demonstrate that the hours worked were on task and productive, with adequate activity, then the pop-up isn't a problem. The failure of UpWork to abide by its common sense agreement with its freelancers is the problem. 

At any rate, the user agreement itself is vague. The only mention of it is in section 6.5 of the UA: 

1. Freelancer must have provided adequate comments for the screenshots documented by Work Diaries prior to submitting its invoice.

Well, what does 'adequate' mean? I provided the name of the file I was working on. I provided the URL of any websites in the foreground at the time of the snap. These are more than adequate annotations for the stated purpose. 

For me to have provided an additional annotation, "writing manuscript" adds zero value for the client, and ads zero value for anyone reviewing the time log to see if the hours worked were genuine. 

So no. Don't 'fix' the pop-up. The pop-up is fine. And it's consistent with other plain language assurances elsewhere on the site. E.g., "it's pretty straightforward: An hour paid is an hour worked."

Fix the procedures. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
12 of 23

Jason,

We understand your frustration. However, to comply with Upwork ToS, an hourly payment may be reversed if it doesn't meet all the requirements for Upwork Hourly Protection. Adequate memos is one of the requirements for Upwork Hourly Protection as described in this help article and in Upwork ToS (article 6.10).

~ Valeria
Upwork
jvansteenwyk
Ace Contributor
13 of 23

Here's what UpWork posts on my work diary. Every. Day. 

The useless exercise of adding totally redundant "notes" is not listed among the conditions for the guarantee. 

Oh, and that word "guaranteed." 

It's a doozy. 

jvansteenwyk
Ace Contributor
14 of 23

What's not "adequate" about the automatically generated notes describing the file being worked on and the screenshot showing the work performed? 

jvansteenwyk
Ace Contributor
15 of 23

Why are the notes "critical" when the screenshot and the automatically generated annotation clearly demonstrate the work performed? 

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
16 of 23

It seems like you don't understand the dispute resolution process.

First, Upwork can't make a ruling in your favor--that's what arbitration is for. All Upwork can do is attempt to broker a resolution.

Second, the client didn't get a refund because of the memos; the memo requirement is for Upwork's payment protection, which would have allowed Upwork itself to pay you for those hours if you'd followed the prescribed procedures.

It sounds like this was a bad client and I sympathize with your frustration, but none of the detailed information you're providing here is really relevant to the way the dispute played out, because Upwork isn't a decision-maker in the dispute process.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
17 of 23

Rob, I think you are right to be disgusted. I hope that things will turn in your favour, if not - remember that you are top rated and you can use the top-rated perk to get any adverse ratings removed (completely) from your profile.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 23

re: "to avoid actually studying the dispute and seeing who was right and who was wrong"

Unfortunately, it is a common misperception that Upwork does this.

If you actually read Upwork's Help documents and intructional documentation, you will find that Upwork does not claim to study conflicts between clients and freelancers and make a determination about who was right or wrong.

Now you know that this is NOT a service that Upwork offers.

Now you know that when you do hourly contract work, you should record appropriate memos.

And now you know that the best way to handle disputes is to never get into disputes.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
19 of 23

@Preston H wrote:

re: "to avoid actually studying the dispute and seeing who was right and who was wrong"

Unfortunately, it is a common misperception that Upwork does this.

If you actually read Upwork's Help documents and intructional documentation, you will find that Upwork does not claim to study conflicts between clients and freelancers and make a determination about who was right or wrong.

Now you know that this is NOT a service that Upwork offers.

Now you know that when you do hourly contract work, you should record appropriate memos.

And now you know that the best way to handle disputes is to never get into disputes.

?
Whatever the outcome and the wrongs and rights, the OP can use his top rated perk.

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
20 of 23

I think the system is flawed.

"An hour worked is an hour paid" - that's what UW advertises.

On the one hand, memos are optional but on the other hand, without them, you are not protected.

The OP is not the first and won't be the last person to underestimate the relevance of memos. The general payment protection overview article doesn't mention them.

It would be so simple: since they are that important make them a mandatory field.

I don't think it's an oversight that they are not.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS