cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: VAT / NIF Legal Steps Portugal

Maria B Member Since: Oct 10, 2017
1 of 7

Hello everyone.

I would like to get some help on the legal steps I should take in order to pay my self assessment TAX.

I am based in Portugal and I have not added my VAT number to Upwork yet.

Looking foward to hear from someone who can help me.
Many Thanks  
Maria

Ace Contributor
Tarek S Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
2 of 7

Hello Maria,

I think that (I've done this years ago) VAT is only requested for US Residents only, for non US residents, you only enter your legal name at the W-8BEN part in Tax Information.

Joana R Member Since: Apr 21, 2018
3 of 7

Hi Maria,

Did you get any luck with this?

I am also in Portugal, however I am unsure regarding VAT registration for Upwork...

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
4 of 7

Hi Joana,

Upwork charges the country-specific Value Added Tax (VAT) to freelancers and agencies in the European Union (EU), unless you provide a valid VAT number. VAT will be assessed on services provided by us, not on services you provide your clients. You can read more about this here

-Joanne
Untitled
Highlighted
Sergii S Member Since: Jan 18, 2018
5 of 7

Hi, I entered my Portugues NIF, but I got messages that upwork can't verify my Taxpayer information.  What should I do with that? 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 7

Sergii S wrote:

Hi, I entered my Portugal NIF, but I got messages that upwork can't verify my Taxpayer information.  What should I do with that? 

The NIF number is not the same as a VAT number. VAT is PTU. If you are registered for VAT / PTU, you need to enter the PTU number. If you are not registered for VAT / PTU, don't enter a number there.

In any case, the NIF number can't be entered as a VAT / PTU number.

Sergii S Member Since: Jan 18, 2018
7 of 7

Thanks a lot. I have just moved here and that wasn't clear to me.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS