cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: VAT / NIF Legal Steps Portugal

Maria B Member Since: Oct 10, 2017
1 of 10

Hello everyone.

I would like to get some help on the legal steps I should take in order to pay my self assessment TAX.

I am based in Portugal and I have not added my VAT number to Upwork yet.

Looking foward to hear from someone who can help me.
Many Thanks  
Maria

Ace Contributor
Tarek S Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
2 of 10

Hello Maria,

I think that (I've done this years ago) VAT is only requested for US Residents only, for non US residents, you only enter your legal name at the W-8BEN part in Tax Information.

Joana R Member Since: Apr 21, 2018
3 of 10

Hi Maria,

Did you get any luck with this?

I am also in Portugal, however I am unsure regarding VAT registration for Upwork...

Joanne Marie P Moderator Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
4 of 10

Hi Joana,

Upwork charges the country-specific Value Added Tax (VAT) to freelancers and agencies in the European Union (EU), unless you provide a valid VAT number. VAT will be assessed on services provided by us, not on services you provide your clients. You can read more about this here

-Joanne
Untitled
Highlighted
Sergii S Member Since: Jan 18, 2018
5 of 10

Hi, I entered my Portugues NIF, but I got messages that upwork can't verify my Taxpayer information.  What should I do with that? 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 10

Sergii S wrote:

Hi, I entered my Portugal NIF, but I got messages that upwork can't verify my Taxpayer information.  What should I do with that? 

The NIF number is not the same as a VAT number. VAT is PTU. If you are registered for VAT / PTU, you need to enter the PTU number. If you are not registered for VAT / PTU, don't enter a number there.

In any case, the NIF number can't be entered as a VAT / PTU number.

7 of 10

Thanks a lot. I have just moved here and that wasn't clear to me.

8 of 10

Petra, are you sure about that? As VIES website returns me this(see attached pic).

vat.png

And one more thing, to don't create many topics with the same name:

Should  VAT(IVA)  be included in my rate for EU clients? To include it in 'recibo verde' ? 

Jesica B Member Since: Nov 6, 2019
9 of 10

Hi all,

My inquiry is regarding recibos verdes that we, as independent workers, must provide to Portugal tax office.

My VAT number was correctly accepted in Upwork, however, now I need to start passing my recibos verdes to the tax office monthly and I have no clue how to do that.

Can someone assist? 

Is Upwork passing this information to the Tax office in Portugal? and if so, why I can't see it when I access to my tax office portal?

Thank you,

Maria B Member Since: Oct 10, 2017
10 of 10

Hi Jesica!

You should use the Autoridade Tributaria e Aduaneira website to do so.

Upwork will generate both client and freelance invoices, from the information provided on the clients invoice you can then fill the information needed on the website.

If the client does not provide a NIF/VAT number use "-" on that field.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS