VAT for a non resident LTD in London

Hi to all,


I had a question: I'm opening a LTD in London as non resident. The suppose invoice will be under the lower invoice needed to have to access to a VAT number. I would like to know how the VAT would be calculated in this case.


Thanks for any advice,


Harold René.




Upwork will NOT be able to advise you as to how company law works in UK.


If you have a Ltd UK company that is registered with Companies House, you have to register for VAT if your supply threshold is likely to exceed £73,000 (I think this is at 20%). However, even if you have a Ltd company in UK, and you operate outside the UK, local (i.e. where you live) VAT applies. This is a very simplistic explanation and you would probably  need an international accountant/company lawyer to advise you fully. 


Upwork is actually quite simple. If you have a VAT number, regardless of where you pay your taxes, and you enter it in your accounts page, you will not have to pay Upwork's 10% VAT on the service charge.


Upwork is not responsible for your personal tax calculations.