🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » VAT number & W-8BEN
Page options
carlanorae
Community Member

VAT number & W-8BEN

Hi

I am just starting with Upwork. 

I am based in the Netherlands, and not a US citizen. So I would like to know if I need to get a VAT number. Also, I read that I need a W-8BENk before withdrawing my payments. I already have the form. But what are the next steps? Where do I send it? 

Thanks!

Carla

3 REPLIES 3
AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Carla,

Welcome to Upwork!

VAT is assessed on digital services provided by Upwork (i.e. service fees, membership fees, and connect purchases), not on services freelancers and agencies provide their clients. VAT rates are calculated according to the local rate of the freelancer’s country of residence. Upwork doesn't require anyone to have a VAT number but we will charge VAT on the services above to freelancers and agencies within the EU unless they provide a valid VAT number. Feel free to check out this help article to learn more about VAT.

Regarding the W-8BEN form, its used to confirm you’re not a U.S. taxpayer and that Upwork is not required to withhold taxes from your earnings. To fill out the form, simply go to Settings > Tax Information and add your full legal name and address.

Let us know if you have further questions.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

If I am just a freelancer living in an EU country without a company what do I put as a Company name there?

Also since UpWork pays VAT do I need to pay anything else to a country I live in.

Hi

I'm assuming you're referring to the name that you need to put on the W-8BEN form, if that's the case, you can add your full legal name. As for any other tax obligations you may have, we'd recommend that you consult a local tax advisor. 

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths