🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Netherlands VAT number not recognised by Upwo...
Page options
bianca_werndlij
Community Member

VAT number keeps getting rejected

I checked the number on the VIES site and it's correct, however I keep getting emails saying Upwork is unable to validate my taxpayer information. Am I doing something wrong here/can anyone help me out?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bianca,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with adding your VAT number. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
dlb031
Community Member

Hi Bianca,

Are you sure you're using the exact same info on Upwork as in the VIES base? Try mirroring all the data letter by letter into Upwork, exactly as your company appears in the VIES base.

Good luck 🙂

Thanks for the advise. It turns out I did it right, but they failed to mention they need some more info and just hit the rejected button anyway. I'm in contact with customer service now.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Bianca,

We'll have one of our agents reach out to you via a support ticket to assist you with adding your VAT number. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
4b318bf2
Community Member

Hi, I recently had issues with my VAT number gettng rejected. It finally got approved by reaching customer support.
However, right now it doesn't include country prefix so the generated invoice also doesn't include it.
Can my VAT number get changed from "xxxxxxxxxxx" to "HR xxxxxxxxxxx" ? I'm worried that I might have issues if the country prefix is not included in the VAT number from the invoices.

If I delete and re-add it, I'm worried I'll have to go through this hassle again.

Hi Marin,

You can delete and add your VAT number at any time. You won't have any problems as long as your number is in the format as in the VIES database. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
elizabeth_slaney
Community Member

I registered last week but system says my VAT number is not valid. It is recognised in VIES system. In Netherlands I have to register under a company name but Upwork system does not let me insert this name. I have to insert personal name according to instructions. Can anyone help please?

Hi Elizabeth,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your VAT number. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
akacprzynska
Community Member

Hello, 

I'm having the same issue. I'm a freelancer in EU (Poland), and my number keeps getting rejected. Can someone please help ? Thanks in advance! 

Hi Aleksandra,

You can verify the validity of a VAT number by entering it in the  VIES database. Could you let me know if your VAT is verified in the VIES database or not? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello,
The website is not opening for me 😕

Hi Aleksandra,

Could you try to open the link from another browser or search the page "VIES VAT number validation" via google? Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
55b51822
Community Member

Hi All, 

I'm also looking for a solution for the same problem from Hungary: VAT number is correct and valid at VEIS, Upwork still unable to validate and rejects again and again.

I contacted the Customer Support, no response yet. (couldn't find the ref number, or in my disputes either). 

I also tried to ad the space between country prefix and 8 numbers like: HU XXXXXXX, hoping they will accept it. 

I screened the community regarding same questions, but found NO answers or solution - only to "contact Customer Support". Does have anyone useful suggestion?

Thank you, 

Tünde

Hi Tunde,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. One of our team members will reach out to you as soon as possible and will assist you further with your VAT number. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths