cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: VAT number not approved

Antonia P Member Since: Jan 10, 2016
1 of 27

I would like to ask why this is happpening. I've checked if my tax number here in Greece is valid and it is valid. Still my vat number is not approved. I am married and that means that my husband and I submit one tax declaration. Do I have to submit my husband's vat number instead of mine?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
2 of 27

Hi Antonia,

Please make sure that VAT number is in the format provided by the VIES website here. Please go to the VIES validation tool here to confirm whether you have a VAT number in the format that Upwork can validate. You should be able to submit your own VAT number.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
3 of 27

@Antonia P wrote:

I would like to ask why this is happpening. I've checked if my tax number here in Greece is valid and it is valid. Still my vat number is not approved. I am married and that means that my husband and I submit one tax declaration. Do I have to submit my husband's vat number instead of mine?

Antonia,

You're confusing your tax no. and your VAT ID. 

John V Member Since: Dec 18, 2015
4 of 27

Joachim, in Greece the VAT ID is the same as the Tax ID (AFM, arithmos forologikou mitroou)

Antonia, assuming you have initiated a sole-proprietorship (εναρξη επαγγελματος) with your VAT ID, you also need to be registered with VIES (ενδοκοινοτικες).
Ask your accountant if that's the case.

Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
5 of 27

John,

Thanks, learnt something new again. Here in Germany the two are kept separate.

Christos C Member Since: Aug 26, 2017
6 of 27

I am having the same issue. My VAT is not getting approved while it's being correctly stated.
Any help?

Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
7 of 27

Hello Christos

Please make sure that the format of your VAT number is in the format provided by the VIES website. You can validate your VAT number format here.

Untitled
Christos C Member Since: Aug 26, 2017
8 of 27

It is.
And although it is correct, is says that it is invalid in the VIES website as well.
I contacted my local accounting service and they said that it correct and functions normally.

Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
9 of 27

Hello Christos,

We have escalated your concern and one of our team members will reach out to you shortly.

Untitled
Highlighted
Marianna S Member Since: Sep 4, 2017
10 of 27

Ugh, I have the same problem. I've checked my VAT number and it's correct and should work but it doesn't. Says not approved.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS