🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » VAT number not approved
Page options
blopi
Community Member

VAT number not approved

Hi,

I have a VAT number from Romania but it's not approved on my profile. I checked the VIES website and it shows it’s valid, but Upwork didn’t approve it.

First, I submitted with country code and I received an error message. After that, when I submitted without the country code, it was declined via email: “Please re-submit your taxpayer information for VAT”.

I’ve tried to submit a ticket to Upwork help center, but it’s not working. The only option that appears available is “Get assistance from our Community team”.

How can I solve the problem?

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Lorin,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your VAT number. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Maybe I can get some help with the tax situation as well.

I currently live in Portugal but I'm not a tax-resident here yet, because I moved in November (got married to a Portuguese citizen) and my documents for the residence card are still being processed (since all the bureaucratic institutions are barely working due to pandemic). I have a Portuguese VAT number (número de identificação fiscal) because I lived here before already and registered it, but it's not currently recognized as valid. Which probably makes sense, since I'm not a tax resident at the moment. 

Upwork still puts a tax on my earnings though, and it's understandable, but I was wondering if there's anything I can do in this situation to adjust it to reality. I will be very much happy to pay tax once I am officially a tax resident, since as a freelancer in Portugal I can have a lot of tax returns, but for now those taxes that I pay are not in any way attached to me as a resident and I don't even know where they're going. I was thinking to change the country back to Ukraine (which is where I'm from), but then I'd be violating ToS by lying about my actual location at the moment, which isn't something I wanna do 🙂 

Hi Oleksandra,

I would recommend reaching out to a local expert to assist you further with your VAT and your taxes. 

Upwork won't charge VAT to anyone who has provided a validated VAT number. When Upwork is audited by your government, we are required to substantiate that we have charged VAT to all VAT non-taxable persons, and that we have reverse-charged VAT to all taxable persons. The only way we can confirm and prove to your government that you are a taxable person is by collecting and validating your VAT number. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths