cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VAT number registration

m_vratnikova
Michaela V Member Since: Sep 1, 2016
1 of 9

Hello, is there any email contact to the upwork support? I have a problem with the VAT registration. I don't have a VAT number just TAX number and I don't want to arrange the VAT, because I didn't need it till now. I have two tax numbers which I am using for all my billing: But when I wanted to register these TAX number the system always refuse them. Is there any chance to make a Tax registration on Upwork just with the TAX number (not with VAT?) Or is there a possibility to registrate the billing information to my partner who has the VAT?

Thank's
Michaela

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 9

Hi Michaela,

No, it's not possible to use someone else's billing information on your profile and you can only use a registered VAT number that can be verified by the VIES database.

Untitled
m_vratnikova
3 of 9

Hello Vladimir,

thank you for your reply. So if I am not a VAT payer I can't work through the Upwork, right? That's a pitty.

Anyway thank you for your help

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
4 of 9

Michaela,

Even if you don't have VAT number, you can still work on Upwork. VAT will still be applied to the Upwork service fee, premium Upwork memberships, and purchases of Connects, collected by Upwork  and remitted to the respective EU government.

Please, check this help article for more information.

~ Valeria
Upwork
m_vratnikova
5 of 9

Hello Valeria,
thank you for your comment. That's a good news. So it means that I can use my TAX number for invoice, but instead of Upwork fee I have to pay a VAT too which will not be returned to me, right?

Thank you for your help

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 9

Michaela, you will pay VAT on Upwork Service fee (not instead of it) and you will get a separate invoice for it.

~ Valeria
Upwork
m_vratnikova
7 of 9

Hello Valeria, sorry I wrote it wrong in previous post, I wanted to say that the VAT will be charged just for the Upwork fee, but the sume charged to client will be without VAT, is that right?

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
8 of 9

Hi Michaela,

Yes, Upwork will only charge VAT to you on its fees for using Upwork. No VAT will be charged by Upwork to you on the fees charged by you to your client. This is something for which you as a freelancer remain responsible.

Untitled
m_vratnikova
9 of 9

Perfect, thank you 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS