🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » VAT return
Page options
leahmuscat
Community Member

VAT return

Hey! I’ve been a member for little over a week and have done two projects. I noticed the VAT was deducted and realized I hadn’t written my VAT number.

Firstly, how do I send my VAT number?
Secondly, is there any way I can be refunded for the VAT that was deducted on the two projects from this week? I also purchased connects. Any chance I can get a VAT refund on those too? It’s a tiny gesture for such a huge company. Thanks in advance! Cheers!
13 REPLIES 13
JoanneP

Hi Leanor,

VAT is applied to the Upwork service fee, premium Upwork memberships, and purchases of Connects. The tax is collected by Upwork and remitted to the respective EU government. We remit the VAT payment we collect to your government through the Mini One Stop Shop (MOSS) mechanism instituted by the EU. For more information, please read this help article

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hey! I got an email saying that Upwork couldn't verify the tax information I submitted. My VAT number is correct. So I don't know what to do. Also, how do I obtain a W-8BEN and submit it? 

Thanks! 

Hi Leanor,

You can verify the validity of a VAT number by entering it in the VIES database. Let us know if it verifies in the database but not on Upwork.
Regarding your W-8BEN form, I can see that you have already filled out your Tax information and there's no need to take any additional actions. If you would like to update your details, go to Settings > Tax Information. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

According to the website you sent my tax number is valid.

In that case, I don’t understand why I received an email on Feb 10 stating that it’s not.

If this is the case, are you saying that everything is up to date and I don’t have to do anything else?
Does this mean I can withdraw money?

Thanks for your time!

Leanor L wrote:
In that case, I don’t understand why I received an email on Feb 10 stating that it’s not.
If this is the case, are you saying that everything is up to date and I don’t have to do anything else?
Does this mean I can withdraw money?

You can withdraw your money regardless of wha is happening with your VAT number. That has nothing to do with anything.

The tax form he means is the W8-BEN which you have (apparently) already completed. That does not mean your VAT number was accepted, that's a different process. But the worst that can happen while you're fixing it is that you're charged VAT on the Service Fee and connects.

Hi Leanor,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with your VAT number.  Regarding your funds, yes you should be able to withdraw them at any time. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you! 

I have a follow-up question, now that everything is settled on Upwork. I had uploaded my tax details when I first registered to Upwork and I've done a few jobs before Upwork confirmed the details uploaded. Invoices before my tax details were confrimed have no "VAT reverse charged" on the invoice. Does this mean that I will not get back the VAT for these invoices? Or can this be fixed since I had a VAT number uploaded all this time?

Thank you in advance. 

Your VAT number hadn't been set up all along. Your original post clearly says that you hadn't added it, you only completed your 8-BEN which confirms that you are not a US tax payer.

You won't get the VAT for those initial incoices back, no.

jloal
Community Member

Hello!

Once I submitted the VAT documentation you answered me this:

"**Edited for Community Guidelines**

But as of today I have not received a reverse charge for the VAT.
Whom should I contact to fix this problem?

Hi Jose,

Thank you for reaching out to us. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Leanor L wrote:
Firstly, how do I send my VAT number?

You add it in your Tax Information

Leanor L wrote:
Secondly, is there any way I can be refunded for the VAT that was deducted on the two projects from this week?

No. But on $80 earnings the VAT was a mere $4.50 even at the high Swedish VAT rate of 25%

I don't live in Sweden, but can't you claim this back when you submit your next VAT return? (That's how it works in the UK.)

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths