🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: VAT validation
Page options
rokljalic
Community Member

VAT validation

Hi,

Currently I'm a freelancer without a company, so my VAT number is not a company number but personal number, which cannot be validated by service.

How can I get VAT confirmed, if it is a personal and not a company number?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Rok
7 REPLIES 7
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Rok,

You should be able to add your VAT number to the Upwork account as long as it's in the same format as validated on the VIES website. While some freelancers use VAT for a registered business they own, others add their individual VAT number. Please, check with a local tax advisor on the type and format of your VAT number.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
rokljalic
Community Member

Hi Bojan,

Firstly thank you for fast feedback.

Issue is that VIES site expects VAT number with country prefix like SI for my country (Slovenia), but that kind of what number is in my country given only to companies, individuals get 8 digits TAX number without any prefix, which is not acceptable by VIES site. I have checked this and I have no idea what I can do with my number.

Thank you,
Rok
tta192
Community Member

It's not mandatory to enter a vat number, but Upwork will add VAT to their commission.

Are you sure your TAX number is for VAT purposes? Where I live you cannot get a VAT ID without creating a company.

Hello Rok,

I am running into the same problem here (I am also from Slovenia). Can you tell me if you were able to solve it and how? Is registering to DDV (VAT) register and reporting the income every month enough, or any other actions are needed?

Thank you,

Ana

noonesan
Community Member

Hi Bojan,

One question about the Vies Site, it asks for a "Requester member state" and VAT number. 
Is Upwork the requester? how does this work? 

I'm new to upwork, so sorry if its a dumb question. 
Thanks 

Hi Nuno,

You will need to use the first or the second option to verify your VAT number. In both cases, you will need to list your own country. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you for the feedback, I've tried it again and it works. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths