🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » VENT: Hardly any work in 2022 and getting wor...
Page options
sanders_tabitha
Community Member

VENT: Hardly any work in 2022 and getting worse...

Hi all, 

I have been a part of the Upwork community for about five years now, and I have been relatively successful for most of that time. That said, I have not been able to find enough consistent work with quality clients to pay my bills this past year. 

I am a talented writer, proofreader, and editor. I have almost six years of proven experience. I always provide top-notch work for clients. I have TONS of excellent reviews on my profile. I set a fair rate for my services, and I've even tried negotiating down to land gigs. I have branched outside of Upwork, created my own website, made and distributed business cards, and still nothing. 

Anyone else? 

I'm just so frustrated. 

Is there just no work available? Do I suck? Are my prices too high? Are there too many freaking people in the world to find work? 

I just needed to vent, but I would seriously appreciate others' insights or advice. 

Thanks,

T

6 REPLIES 6
jeremiah-brown
Community Member

Is writing an oversaturated market?  If so, that would be one of the biggest contributors to a lack of work. 

Also look at the barrier to entry for a given job.  Is there a significant investment to get started as a writer?  Can you start with as little as a computer?  What type of investment is required to start doing what you do?  Those answers are a good indicator of how easily other people will make an entry into the same field of work.  A high barrier to entry is a significant investment and requires more skin in the game.  A low barrier to entry can result in a flood of workers seeking easy money.

So what can you do?  Specialization is one consideration.  Do you specialize in any certain areas?  Any specialized knowledge in one area more than others?  Market that.  What differentiates you from your competition?

Another idea might be to hire another freelancer that specializes in marketing.  Notice how I pointed out a need for a specialized person to help you with marketing?  Getting business is all about the problems you solve for others.  Consider consulting with someone who does online marketing, they might be able to see areas where you can improve or recommend methods you havent considered.

bundie702
Community Member

You have too many good reviews/client feedback to "suck," so you can rule that out. But I would suggest asking every client to leave feedback at the end of a job. They won't always do it, but nothing says, "He's/She's really good" better than glowing feedback. You have quite a few completed jobs where the client didn't leave any.

Are your prices too high? Who knows? Your earnings are hidden, with only your hourly rate visible. I've seen cases where they differ drastically. Potential clients might presume you're out of their league (although maybe not...my rate and earnings are visible and I get invitations all the time to work for ridiculously low fees). But about half of the jobs I do accept come from invitations to apply from clients who've seen my profile.

There's plenty of work available, although some of it doesn't pay well. I've seen a lot of "I'm just starting out..." in ads lately as an excuse for offering to pay less than what you'd make bagging groceries. (In the last 30 days I've gotten something like two dozen invitations to interview for ghostwriting, which I turn down because of unrealistic terms (15k a week, have to provide my own storyline, 1 or 2 cents per word, unlimited revisions). My own experience on Upwork (7 years) is that of a steady upward trajectory, sometimes balancing four or five active jobs in a given week. I stay very busy, both with private clients and through Upwork...and I don't participate in the "race to the bottom" that so many indulge in. This income supplements my retirement.

The key might be in landing regular clients who can be counted on for a few hours of work every week. Might be hard to get, but keep trying, and good luck to you. 

williamtcooper
Community Member

Hey Tabitha, it's become more competitive in 2022 due to the recessionary environment. Please shorten the Summary and use all 15 Skills. Also open the Earnings to Public so businesses have a better idea of the work done. Once completed let me know, because there are other finer points to stand out. 

kbadeau
Community Member

Only the first few lines of your experience are visible to a client unless they click on "more" which I always assume they will not do. So you need to sell yourself right off the bat rather than use an about me header and tell a story about not getting a job at a fast food restaurant.

Also it may seem counterintuitive, but I actually started getting MORE work when I raised my rate. You're competing with too many people at the lower rate... you'll get better clients and weed out a lot of competition with a higher rate. And the best part is, you can always change it back if it doesn't help. Or, like you say, apply for jobs with a reduced rate. Then clients see your profile rate and think they're getting a deal.

I also agree wholeheartedly with listing your earnings. It gives clients confidence in your experience and makes you seem more trustworthy imo. 😊

anthonypagare
Community Member

Same with me. Don't know what are the algorithms of upwork upto, no profile views no invites.  Not able to find any solution for this.

https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~01ed52f26bd27bc616

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

As others have said, hiding your earnings isn't a good idea. If a client is looking for a freelancer in a certain price range then you won't appear in the results, and clients to whom you send proposals can see your earnings even if they're hidden; therefore, it's pointless and can only harm rather than help you.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members