cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN

ashti
Harizza O Member Since: May 6, 2015
1 of 9

I cannot access a client's website due to IP block. I have a dynamic IP address and thus would ask my client's IT every now and then to grant me access eveytime my IP address changes. 

I'm thinking of using a VPN, but I want to be certain first that this is not a violation of Upwork TOS. I would be tracking my time using the TeamApp while working with VPN running. 

Can someone assure me please if this won't cause any issue with my Upwork account? Thank you.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
BEST ANSWER
2 of 9

This has been asked and no one answered, because they aren't going to tell you what flips a security review. But, I would be very careful about using an IP that's not in the Phillippines. If you plan to VPN to the US, you could have a bad time. Just keep the VPN in your country and it won't (likely) trigger anything.

View solution in original post

ashti
3 of 9

Thank you Jennifer. Smiley Happy So I would just have to ask my client if a static IP address in the Philippines using the VPN would be sufficient, without having to change the country. Because I contacted support about this, and you're right that it might flip for a security review.

CS said that it's ok to use a plain VPN, but a VPN with IP blocker proxy is against TOS. I don't know though what's the difference between a plain VPN and a VPN with proxy (not that techie), VPN is CyberGhost. But better be safe than sorry later on, so I'd follow your advice and keep the VPN in the Philippines. Smiley Happy

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 9

I've not heard the term "IP blocker proxy" but I'm thinking they mean you can't show a different IP than your local computer, which is silly cuz that's what you're trying to do.

I should amend my answer to say that I wouldn't use public open proxies. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a list of the commonly abused proxies. I imagine public proxies and sharing Internet at Internet cafes is how people around here get nabbed for sharing accounts or related accounts.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
5 of 9

Just to add to Jennifer's advice. On Elance using a VPN raised flags, and I am sure it is no different here. A lot of freelancers had their accounts suspended because they used dodgy VPNs. It would probably be better to  officially tell/ask Upwork in advance what you are intending to do.

ashti
6 of 9

Thanks Jennifer and Nichola. I guess I would just have to ditch that VPN altogether to be sure. Smiley Happy

markhylland
Ace Contributor
Mark H Member Since: Jan 12, 2016
7 of 9

I am an AMERICAN based paralegal. When I am out of the country I must utilize a VPN to access certain databases. I was flagged by Upwork and they sent me a notice. I sent them a reply and trust that this resolves the problem as I often travel to the Philippines to visit my daughter and lecture at an international college there. 

cylver1z
Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
8 of 9

Hello Mark,

I'm sorry to hear that. I just checked your account and I could see that you responded to our ticket. All your concerns regarding this issue will be responded there. I just made a follow up with our team on that ticket. Our representative will reach out to you shortly. Thank you.

Untitled
markhylland
Ace Contributor
Mark H Member Since: Jan 12, 2016
9 of 9

Thank you. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS