Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valeria/Garnor, Please refund my 2 connects SCAM

Community Guru
Natalia G Member Since: Jun 8, 2008
1 of 16

Hi Valeria/Garnor, 

Please refund my 2 connects for this SCAM job. A lot of people have received this copy-paste message from this client "Kevin" who has several different accounts on oDesk, I believe. For the job I applied for, he's name was "amandaa". Several people on the forums have reported the same message from this fake client. I enclose screengrab, "client" (unverififed, no hires, several fake jobs posted) says he's already hired someone but "I can do this other job if I download Skype blah blah", but he has not hired anyone, instead he sent this message to 10 other people so far, for this job.

Other jobs he has posted (open):

• **edited for Community Guidelines**

I have been very selective with my connects and have only applied for 4 jobs in 9 days, so I want these connects refunded. If oDesk is not going to inforce that the clients get verified, then I am not going to paythe price for this.

Natalia

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
2 of 16

Not sure how you think Preston can give you back your connects. He is just another freelancer like you and I on the forum.

Community Guru
3 of 16

Hi Suzanne,

I meant Garnor, Sorry Preston! I don't know why I typed his name! (too early in the morning, sorry!). Now changed!

Well, whoever is in charge of this, please give me back my connects or let me know if I should submit yet another ticket.

Cheers

Natalia

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
4 of 16

Natalia,

No apologies necessary!

I'm flattered to be included in such august company.

In all seriousness, maybe you typed my name because I have been such a vocal advocate of ADDING A DEDICATED FEATURE FOR REPORTING PREDATORY CLIENTS, SCAM CLIENTS AND SCAM JOBS.

I strongly believe that having an oDesk interface tool that can be used to report scam behavior by clients would benefit oDesk AND contractors.

I am continually a bit shocked that no tool exists for reporting scam jobs and scam clients.

When using the "flag as inappropriate" tool, the closest option is "Phishing/fraud"... But phishing is really a very specific type of inappropriate job posting and it isn't the same as a client who is exhibiting scam behavior.

More importantly, there is no way to REPORT the behavior by including screen shots or chat logs or just a descriptive report.

So if a client posts a job that says: "Need PowerPoint report created from the attached Excel spreadsheet and notes file"

...and a contractor reports that... Then oDesk staffers won't see anything amiss.

That job does NOT look like a "phishing/fraud" job.

But if the client with whom a contractor interviews asks the client to take off their clothes during a Skype interview, or asks a client for credit card information so they can purchase "needed software," then this IS a scam or predatory client.

But there is no way to report this!

Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
5 of 16

So much for the requested icon (logo) adjacent official oDesk employed / contracted personnel. The old forum identified official oDesk employed / contracted personnel using a lime green logo adjacent their names. Then, there was the time when we were asked to refrain from using disclaimers of any sort to advise other members that we were just members like most everyone else and not official oDesk employed / contracted personnel.

Community Guru
6 of 16

I just had a though about this, as this morning I am seeing LOTS of new translation jobs from new "clients" who joined oDesk in the last few days, non-verified. So this cound be happening:

I am a freelancer

I create different accounts as a "client"

I post several fake jobs within my field (i.e. Eng-Spanish translation)

Newbies and inexperienced translators apply (These jobs have lots of applicants!)

They waste their connects

Now, as a freelancer I have more chance to apply since I made others waste their connects.

I can't be sure but I am almost 80% certain this is happening! Otherwise why would suddenly lots of new "clients" post so many jobs, very high pay for little work (some of them) and same client posting different jobs, but very similar (i.e. all for Eng-spanish translating).

The only way to solve this is for oDesk to force new clients to get verified somehow (not by phone, you can buy a sim card for less than 5 euros!). Needs to be verified only with credit card.

I would say, this morning there are 20 new jobs for my field, all un-verified, all new clients, all very suspicious looking. Also, these people know how to phrase the jobs so that new inexperienced oDoeskers will apply.

IT'S SO OBVIOUS TO ME!

Very very frustrated....

Laurent M Member Since: Nov 27, 2014
7 of 16

I received the same message from the same client yesterday. It was for a translation job (English to French). The job is still open. I've lost my connects too. 

I don't think it's a freelancer, otherwise he would just leave the job and not hire anyone. He would'nt send a scam answer, and he wouldn't post job in so many different categories (writing, logos, Spanish and French translation).

Community Guru
8 of 16

Laurent,

I don´t think this particular Client is a freelancer either. Just some scam.

I was just referring in my previous post to many other jobs I have seen recently, too many Eng-Spa jobs all of a sudden, with non-verified new clients. Those are the ones that seem to me like some freelancers had the idea to post jobs to make competitors use up their connects....

I think I will take my refund of connects up with Customer Service tomorrow if I get no reply from the mods here, yet another ticket! 

A bientot

Natalia

Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
9 of 16

Natalia,

I know this is not an answer directly, but Valera posted in another thread:

If the job was closed by the client or by the oDesk Team the connects you used to apply for that job will be returned to you. Note that it might take a bit of time for your connects to refresh.

Valeria

http://community.odesk.com/t5/Announcements/Announcing-Two-New-Solutions-for-oDesk-Freelancers/td-p/...

I assume if you flagged the job and once it is removed you will get your connects back.

Edited to add Garnor Posted in a thread:

Thanks for the notice. We will remove jobs that violate our policy (and you'll get your Connects back in these instances), so if you're coming across any jobs of this sort, please do report them and we will get on it. 

Also, if the client cancels the job post without hiring, we will return those Connects as well. 

http://community.odesk.com/t5/Freelancers/Fake-job-alert/m-p/74013#U74013

Community Manager
Garnor M Community Manager Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
10 of 16

Hi Natalia,

As noted by Suzanne, we will return Connects for cases where we remove the job post due to a violation of our policy. We're working to address any jobs that you report. 

Thanks,

Garnor

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS