Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valid proposals

jessicasimko
Community Guru
Jessica S Member Since: Dec 4, 2015
1 of 5

Every now and then, I go through my proposals, and visit the job posting, to see which ones are still valid - meaning it appears no one was hired yet - and am surprised to see the stats say "1 hire" on them. Other times, I get an email saying my proposal was declined. When I first started here, I would go back to those and you can see who got hired and it only shows 1 proposal.  I don't typically ever go back to those anymore and look at the job posting because well... I really don't care and it's oftentimes because my bid was too high (so I have been told lol) .... so I am not sure what those pages look like anymore, and maybe it's the same but did something change? Why don't I get "proposal declined" after someone is hired, for all jobs? I find it hard to plan out how much work I can do with all these open proposals out there. Does the client have to manually close the bidding? If so, why cant a job automatically close when the required number of freelancers are hired? The only way to manually manage it is to go back to each one and withdraw my proposals from jobs that show someone was hired and well...that's a pain....:) 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 5

@Jessica S wrote:

Why don't I get "proposal declined" after someone is hired, for all jobs? I find it hard to plan out how much work I can do with all these open proposals out there.

When sending an offer to a freelancer a client has the option to "close this job posting and inform all applicants if this freelancer accepts the offer"

Unfortunately a lot of clients don't tick that option so unless they manually close the job posting the job stays open.

Personally once I have sent an application I no longer factor that job offer into my scheduling.

If the client decides to hire me when I am already fully booked I can't help it. It's "first come first serve!"

adrianne-young
Adrianne Y Member Since: Dec 7, 2015
3 of 5

Petra, thank you for saying this, "If the client decides to hire me when I am already fully booked I can't help it. It's 'first come first serve!'"

I hadn't known how many proposals to send based on the fact that I might not be available if hired by someone else. So I've kind of spaced them out to be cautious. But I like knowing that declining a project that I submitted a proposal for isn't poor form.

Thank you. 

david_gregory
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
4 of 5

It's not poor form at all.

You can't expect to get every job you apply for. Apply for the job and then move on. If the client contacts you then see if the work can fit into your schedule or the client can wait for a week or so until you can get to it.

jayo1259
Jared Y Member Since: Oct 19, 2015
5 of 5

It works the same the other way, too, apparently; I was invited to do a job and began my communication with the client the middle of one day, he sent me the contract offer after I had gone to bed, when I woke up to accept he rescinded the offer. It was definately disappointing, but, hey, whatever.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS