cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Varying difficulty of translation tests

hamiltonjames20
Ace Contributor

Part of my work here on Upwork is Japanese translation. I took the E>J test 6 months ago and scored 4.25

I took the test a second time and plummeted to 3.6 - a score which would not be deserving of any decent contracts.

And now, I took the test for the third time and scored 4.9, ranking 136th among test takers.

This is quite surprising since there is not a J>E test, only an E>J test which puts native Japanese at an advantage, while I am a native English speaker and normally translate into my first language (as is the industry standard.)

I can only conclude that the test is easier this time. It also included several questions I'd seen before. The wrong answers were often very clearly wrong this time.

Anyway, for those of you taking translation tests - this seems to be a good month to try again.

I'd be interested to hear if others have the same fluctuation in scores.

5 REPLIES 5
stencil_media
Community Guru

I passed the Russian to English test, and the only Russian I know is from the seminal 1982 classic 'Firefox', starring and directed by Clint Eastwood. Something to tell the grandkids!

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
researchediting
Community Guru

In my own field, I have never understood how Upwork displays test results. On the Oxford editing test, Upwork provides numbers indicating I am in the 96th percentile of test takers. Neither of the prominently displayed scores—"top 10%" and "3.5/5"—reflect that fact.

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

Upwork provides numbers indicating I am in the 96th percentile of test takers. Neither of the prominently displayed scores—"top 10%" and "3.5/5"—reflect that fact.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

The test in your field must be significantly harder if 70% equates to the 96th percentile. I also found this when I took a proofreading test; 

UK English Proofreading Skills Test (Oxford Guide to Style)3.00Top 10%

60% = top 10%? Is the test difficult, or are the test takers unskilled?

Anyway, in your case it seems obvious that Upwork should introduce a Top 5% badge. 

In my opinion the tests and qualifications are second to JSS scores and should be more prominently displayed on profiles.

James,

I'm not sure if the tests are that hard, the takers are unskilled, or the tests are simply bad.

I've raised the possibility of reporting results in vigintiles rather than deciles; I'm not holding my breath. The figures are there if you want to calculate your true percentile.

Best,
Michael
hfspeegle
Community Guru

Upwork doesn't even have a Latin test, so "Non amo te, Upvorkidi." 🙂

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS