🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Verification ID: Did Upwork lose my private d...
Page options
anima9
Community Member

Verification ID: Did Upwork lose my private data?

I manually asked for the verification badge last March 10 with a video call and everything went well. I even got my badge. Now, I received an email asking me to verify my identity via video call and they put my profile on hold. No proposals, no profile editing.

In the verification process, we are asked to provide a government ID. This email tells us two things:

1. Upwork lost our data
2. Upwork isn't good at keeping sensitive information.

With all the fees and charges you'd think this wouldn't happen.

I also need to know if this is an official request, and not just some random employee trying to steal information by masquerading as an Upwork official.

Attached is the successful video verification email I did last month.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tlsanders
Community Member

Robert James R wrote:This email tells us two things:

1. Upwork lost our data

Or, you know, Upwork randomly generates the verification request and shuts down profiles without bothering to implement a check to see whether you've already been verified. I'd put my money on that one.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
anima9
Community Member

This is the recent video call request.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Robert, and Tiffany, 

We do try to limit the number of times we ask users to verify their identity. Sometimes, however, we need to ask again. I would like to clarify that the two processes are different. The first ID-verification request that Robert received was for the ID-Verification Badge. The second request is for the Video Verification.

This ID-verification Badge is just one part of our efforts to keep Upwork safe and fraud-free. In this case, the badge is completely optional, as is the verification process to earn it.

~ Avery
Upwork
anima9
Community Member

I was already called via video as evidenced from the screenshots you removed.
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Robert, 

I'm sorry if you feel offended that I had to remove your screen grabs. I know that you are an active member of the Upwork Community, and I assumed that you would have been aware that posting screen grabs of email or chat transcripts is a violation of the Upwork  Community Guidelines. I apologise if I didn't make it clear why I had to remove them. 

As I have noted on my reply, please know that the two verification processes are different, which is why you were requested to complete the video-chat verification. You may refer to the links I sent above for more information about the two verification processes. 

I have also requested the team to look into this, and they will reach out to you through your ticket with Ticket# 25242442 with more information. 

~ Avery
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Avery O wrote:

As I have noted on my reply, please know that the two verification processes are different

Identity verification with video verification is different to Identity verification with video verification...

Sure...

anima9
Community Member

I'm actually aware it's not allowed, but I did upload them to make sure mods actually know what I'm talking about. The fact that you removed them means you read the context and saved me time from having to explain properly to the "officials."

The chat support said:

1. I don't need to go through video call but they "are on the process of verifying the account"

2. They will email me within the next 24-48 hours about my account status. So, I'm now unable to apply to any jobs for two days.

Me, someone who has zero account holds (until today) and zero cases of Upwork suspensions, and client disputes now needs to wait for up to 48 hours to apply for new work. Fortunately, I haven't applied to any jobs the last six months and been living off invites and private clients.

3. They said my badge wasn't affected, yet I don't see it anymore.

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Robert,

I apologize for the confusion, let me summarize the events related to the issue you're having.

1. As Avery noted, we do have different verification processes and you were asked to complete them in line with our procedures. They are not the same in their goal and nature, even though they do share identical procedures in part.

2. Unfortunately the agent you communicated with shared incorrect information with you which added to the confusion. The agent is new to the team and we'll provide additional training to ensure we have consistent and accurate communication about the processes.

3. The ID badge is again displayed on your profile and due to incorrect communication on our end about the process you were asked to undergo, you don't need to complete the video call and we've marked the process as complete on our end.

The hold your account was subjected to is in line with our internal procedures but I do apologize for not being able to complete the call when you initiated it, which needlessly prolonged the hold. Our team will follow up with you directly with an update, apologies again for the frustration and inconvenience.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Avery O wrote:

We do try to limit the number of times we ask users to verify their identity. Sometimes, however, we need to ask again. 

Twice within a month? And limit the account of a top rated, very long term, freelancer?

Avery O wrote:

I would like to clarify that the two processes are different. The first ID-verification request that Robert received was for the ID-Verification Badge.

Which consisted of document verification and video call.

Come on, that is nonsense.

elastella
Community Member

Avery O wrote:

Hi Robert, and Tiffany, 

We do try to limit the number of times we ask users to verify their identity. Sometimes, however, we need to ask again. I would like to clarify that the two processes are different. The first ID-verification request that Robert received was for the ID-Verification Badge. The second request is for the Video Verification.

This ID-verification Badge is just one part of our efforts to keep Upwork safe and fraud-free. In this case, the badge is completely optional, as is the verification process to earn it.

How are these 2 different procedures when the ID-Verification Badge process explicitly requires a video call to verify a provider's identity???

how can initiate a chat with an agent ,to request  for video identity verification ?

Hi Amar,

Please refer to the instructions shared with you on your ticket with number 27189612. If you ave any additional questions feel free to post them on your ticket and our team will assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
tlsanders
Community Member

Robert James R wrote:This email tells us two things:

1. Upwork lost our data

Or, you know, Upwork randomly generates the verification request and shuts down profiles without bothering to implement a check to see whether you've already been verified. I'd put my money on that one.

booksist
Community Member

I've had two different people (a CS rep and a mod) confirm that there's a known issue. I wrote about it here and here (and ticket no. 25138228) last week. I wonder when it will be solved because it is becoming really frustrating. I guess too few people are affected, so someone thinks it's not a big deal. Well, it is a big deal. Please do something about it. Thank you.

Hi Valentina,

Robert is not affected by the issue affecting your profile. I'm following up with the team and we'll share an update with you directly as soon as possible.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Good day!

I can not confirm my identity using the document. I upload a photo of my passport, and after 30 seconds I get a notification that the identification procedure is unsuccessful.
Most likely this is due to the fact that my old passport (in paper form, such were from the time when people wrote on the rocks 🙂
Tell me please, is it possible to somehow solve this issue?

Hi Andrey,

I would just like to confirm, we're you trying to upload your ID for the Identity verified badge?

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi Joanne,

I need your help,

How can i capture the passport page? Both page in a photo or need to capture per photo for different pages?

Waiting for something to hear from you.

Regards.

Nur Amin

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Md Nur,

If you're submitting your documents for the Identity Verification Badge, please do follow up guidelines shared in this help article, and submit required documents providing a valid government-issued ID.
If our team needs any additional information, they will reach out to you directly and guide you further thought this process.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi Joanne!

Yes. On the main page, I received a notice that I can get an badge if I confirm my identity with an identity document.

Hi Andrey,

Thank you for confirming. I have shared your concern to the customer support team and one of the team members will reach out via support ticket and assist you directly. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

I can't verify my identity using my Postal ID on uploading ID. Since I don't have a passport, drivers license, or ID Card. I'm using my postal id for any online transactions but in upwork I can't upload my ID since it only accepts those I mentioned earlier. Please help me with this. Thank you

Hi Brent Jude,

If you're submitting your documents for the Identity Verification Badge, please do follow up guidelines shared in this help article, and submit required documents providing a valid government-issued ID.
If our team needs any additional information, they will reach out to you directly and guide you further thought this process.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Vladimir G wrote:

Hi Valentina,

Robert is not affected by the issue affecting your profile. I'm following up with the team and we'll share an update with you directly as soon as possible.

Okay, looking forward to it, thanks.

Hi Valentina,

Just following up to confirm we resolved the issue and you again have the ID badge on your profile, sorry about the inconvenience.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Thanks so much, Vladimir! I've also received the congratulations email from Upwork for the third time 🙂

how can i get an identity verification?

Hi Nazariy,

Are you referring to the ID verification badge? We are rolling out ID badges to more freelancers, you will receive a notification once your account is eligible.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi,

I got a notification on the homepage about verifying my ID. I submitted my driver's license already. However, when I try to initiate the video chat (part two of the process), it links me to a help page that is unrelated to video chat verification. I have received no email about this either. I don't know how to proceed and don't want my account on hold for very long. 

Anyone know what's going on and how I can get this completed ASAP?

Thanks

Hi Dylan,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I checked this for you from our end and was not able to replicate the issue you are describing. Please clear your cache and cookies and try using different browser. Also, please check this Help article for more information about this process. If the issue shows on your end after this please let us know and our team will assist you further.

Thank you!

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

hello. I cannot upload my ID - it is all time shows me technial issue. 

Hi Stanislav,

I checked this for you on our end and were not able to replicate the issue you are experiencing.

May you please clear your cache and cookies or log in with another browser to check if you`re able to follow up guidelines shared in this help article, and submit required documents providing a valid government-issued ID

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi, still i didn't got any ID verification badge on my profile. I think this problem can't be solved. Sorry to say but your technical team is going very slow as it have been already almost 5 days but still no response.I think i need to forget about this badge as you can't solve my problem. Thanks!

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Noor,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I've escalated your account information to our support team. One of our agents will reach out to you directly via support ticket to assist you with your concern.

~ Bojan
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths