Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verification email not received

melaniemaghanoy
Community Guru
Lanie M Member Since: Jun 24, 2015
81 of 157

Hi Nicole,

It shows that your email has already been verified. Please let us know if you need further help.

hillaaron
Aaron H Member Since: Sep 20, 2017
82 of 157

I am trying to set up an account and have also not received any verification emails. I've asked for a resend a few times already and I have checked all the other folders. I have also checked to make sure it's the right email address.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
83 of 157

Hi Aaron,

I checked and it looks like you verified your email address about an hour ago. Please, let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

~ Valeria
Upwork
gih-unah
Unah G Member Since: Sep 25, 2017
84 of 157

Hi, i'm facing the same issue. Have clicked "Re-send" 3 times but nothing happens. I've looked under my inbox, spam and all other folders.

Please, help me!! It's a simple Gmail account...

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
85 of 157

Hi Unah,

It looks like you verified your email a few minutes ago. Let us know if you have any further questions and review resources linked to this post to help you get started.

~ Valeria
Upwork
rukenalim
Ruken A Member Since: Oct 8, 2017
86 of 157

I do not receive the e-mail no matter how many times I pressed the resend verification email link. is it because it's a gmail account? please help

melaniemaghanoy
Community Guru
Lanie M Member Since: Jun 24, 2015
87 of 157

Hi Ruken,

I checked and it looks like you verified your email address a few minutes ago. Please, let us know if you are still experiencing issues.

glennmills
Glenn M Member Since: Oct 16, 2017
88 of 157

This is becoming quite frustrating quickly. I have this same issue. And I initially tried to set up my account (a couple weeks ago) using the address for my consulting company's domain name. It's my first name at the domain. I NEVER received anything no matter how many times I tried. So Ive left it with my "verifiable" (but completly unacceptable for long-term use) individual email address at mac.com (it's a business address from back in the days of resumes and job applications for full-time employment--which I'm totally done with now).

I finally started checking with my webhost (a small, but long-lived, reputable Mac-focused hosting provider) and it appears that the spam gateway filtering service my host uses (think Mimecast, or ProofPoint, etc--but it's not one of those two) before mail ever hits my domain email service might be blocking (which would just suck up the emails so UpWork wouldn't ever see a bounce--and thus would reply as many have heard through this thread I imagine, that "it didn't bounce" and then attempt to explain that the user's spam filtering or address would be the problem). In this case, it appears to be an issue BEFORE it even gets to the email service for my domain. And the likely reason: That possibly the UpWork sending IPs and/or addresses have an issue with being seen as low reputation spam.

The key then whether in your own individual email address, or your overall email service or even higher up the chain to your domain hosting spam protection would be to whitelist/exmept the right sender(s). But there is no info that I can find from UpWork to tell us what that might be beyond just whitelisting the whole upwork.com domain--and there's no way I am doing that for the long-haul. What I might try is whitelisting the UpWork domain just long enough to get the verification email to go through so that I can change my profile email address to what it needs to be and then switch that whitelisting off again.

What would be better though is for UpWork to tell me exactly what sender (fulladdress@exactdomaindotcom) I need to whitelist so that I'm not opening my whole web server to some spam nightmare even if I work fast. I have been a part of UpWork only for a few weeks. I was initially very excited at the prospects, but then learned about the one-way limitations on promoting myself and my business (i.e., okay to link to my UpWork profile from other places but not okay to put my own domain name/link into my profile). I presume that might be why the email change gets "hinky"--the web site I can't promote happens to also be the same domain @ which my email address exists.

I might find that I give this up (especially if I start to see invitations to apply to jobs that look suspiciously like spam (and I've already got one of those--and to be clear I'm not saying this has anything to do with the email verification problem--it's not).

If someone could provide the specific email address for me/us to use so that we can maybe help overcome the verification email challenges, that would be great. Or even an IP address that we'd use. Nobody should have to place alladdresses@anygivendomain in their whitelisting unless THEY can be assured doing so is appropriate. And best practices in email security would say that is NOT the case.

Thanks,

Glenn

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
89 of 157

Hi Glenn,

Automatic notifications including email confirmation notifications should come from donotreply@upwork.com. You can try whitelisting it with your email service provider.

~ Valeria
Upwork
glennmills
Glenn M Member Since: Oct 16, 2017
90 of 157

I got this fixed. But not by using that email address. I did whitelist it but nothing happened. That solution might work on the actual ultimate end-user email client if THAT is where the spam blocking is happening. But the "from" address that the recipient receives in their mailbox does NOT equate to the sender as ID'd by your email service nor you domain hosting in most cases.

So when whitelisting that sender didn't work, I actually went all the way in to my spam logs with my hosting provider and found the 2 different sending Hostnames (mail1.static.mg.upwork.com and mail2.sameas 1st) and the IP addresses (192.237.158.54 for mail1 and same with last digits being 66 for mail2) and whitelisted both those IP addresses (since I didn't know which would end up sending the verification email, and I just prayed it wasn't a 3rd or 4th mail server). And it worked right away.

Now that I have my email address changed, can you validate that I am okay removing those from my whitelisting now? Or will UpWork be sending other similar emails from those addresses? And if the latter, are there other individual IP addresses or one adequate range of addresses that I can plug in?

For people experiencing this kind of verification email "black hole" between UpWork's sending and their receiving end (even if they're using more public commercial services like Gmail), it might be good to find a way to prepare a tip sheet that that tells them how to set an address (and the actual sender address behind "donotreply@") or IP address or domain/whatever not just in their mail client but more on the back end with their pre-mailbox spam protection.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS