cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Verification of Major Accreditations

Community Guru
Tom R Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
1 of 4

I believe that Upwork would benefit from a verification of major accreditation's such as PhD, MBA, etc.. One of the biggest things that has been noticed, and in some cases commented on, is contractors from certain areas of the globe listing accreditation's and it is painfully clear they don't actually have them.

I know this isn't just limited to that area of the globe, people are known for listing those creds just to make themselves look better and more marketable. The fact that these are _major_ accreditation's there should be a way to verify them. It is not uncommon for companies to want verification of accreditation's of this level, generally because they come with a high salary rate due to them.

As far as I am considered is that anyone that lists these accreditation's or any high level certification and they don't have them are actively defrauding not only the clients but Upwork. As much as the ToS absolves Upwork from verifying any of the information a client or freelancer puts in their profile it doesn't absolve them from the clients complaining to them or the perception clients end up having. If you spend anytime on the Internet on forum discussions or social sites you will find a lot of clients (current and former) of Upwork complain about the amount of fraudulent or fake profiles that exist. Plus how they've been burned by them.

I'm not suggesting everything get verified. High School, Bachelors, a few hours of creds or small certs aren't that big of a deal. PhD, Masters, MBAs, etc.. Those are more serious IMO because they are representing a level of knowledge and skillsets that these people actually don't have. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 4

PhD accreditations?

If I see them claimed by contractors who are clearly clueless... I simply assume that the accreditations are made up, or from institutions whose certification is meaningless.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
3 of 4

Hi Tom,

Thank you for sharing your suggestion. I will bring it to the attention of our product team.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
4 of 4

Yeah I made this suggestion a while ago too. It seems a lot of certain people went to the collage for their Master's and forgot that you need an undergrad first and newsflash the collage of the master's doesn't take 5 years.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS