🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Verify identity - But why now???
Page options
hoyle_editing
Community Member

Verify identity - But why now???

Ok, this isn't a rant (like many i have seen) about having to verify identity. But, i had an email this morning telling me i needed to verify my identity within 7 days or would loose access to bidding or withdrawing funds. Personally i feel 7 days is a little short notice (could be away/have nothing immediately available) and since i already have regular earnings it feels a little unfair that with just 7 days notice they could restrict my access - However, for me it was no problem and i immediately logged in and uploaded relevant documents that Upwork required.

What does puzzle me slightly however, I completed the video call within a week or so of signing up i think but this request of a document is quite some months on after sign up. I don't understand why this has been such a long period and feel that with all the 'fake' accounts i see both in person and people posting about. wouldn't it make sense to do the full ID verification process at the sign up stage to weed out these 'fake' accounts?

Presumably the people running the fake accounts simply stop and create a new one when it gets time to verify identity? I realise this might not stop ALL fake accounts, but surely it would be a very simple step that would prevent many of them?

thoughts?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Jonathan H wrote:

!

Still, any kind of ID verification process would surely help weed out the 'duplicate/dodgy' accounts if it was mandatory at sign up! - just a thought 🙂

Too expensive.

Around 9 out of 10 new sign-ups never generate any income so it's pointless wasting any money on 90% (-ish) of them.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
hoyle_editing
Community Member

Think i may have just read an answer to my own question - the verified badge that i had to supply ID for is a new system being rolled out!

Still, any kind of ID verification process would surely help weed out the 'duplicate/dodgy' accounts if it was mandatory at sign up! - just a thought 🙂

Jonathan H wrote:

!

Too expensive.

Around 9 out of 10 new sign-ups never generate any income so it's pointless wasting any money on 90% (-ish) of them.

Yeah, i guess that makes sense - though my ID verification process appeared to be automated - Though i guess anywhere that automation is a process errors occur and need intervention!

Jonathan H wrote:

though my ID verification process appeared to be automated -

What, the video part too? There are two parts to it...

No the video part was actual human interaction - but im sure that was within a week or so of signing up (ish) but this new "document" part appeared automated.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths