🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Verify my identity through my previous client
Page options
b5eb445d
Community Member

Verify my identity through my previous client

I was invited to a job posting and needed to answer some additional questions upon accepting the invitation. I was asked what are the names of the 3 previous clients I worked with. I didn't disclose any name to them as I respect the clients I've worked with and their info should be confidential. This client who invited me for the job posting said that it is for them to verify my identity and If I am not able to disclose the names of my previous clients they will not continue my application anymore. I am just wondering if this is allowed by Upwork that a client asks names of my previous clients for them to verify my Identity and get some reference? Thank you in advance for those who can help me out!
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Aprille S wrote:
I was invited to a job posting and needed to answer some additional questions upon accepting the invitation. I was asked what are the names of the 3 previous clients I worked with. I didn't disclose any name to them as I respect the clients I've worked with and their info should be confidential. This client who invited me for the job posting said that it is for them to verify my identity and If I am not able to disclose the names of my previous clients they will not continue my application anymore. I am just wondering if this is allowed by Upwork that a client asks names of my previous clients for them to verify my Identity and get some reference? Thank you in advance for those who can help me out!

It is obviously not allowed for privacy reasons, plus it's a pretty weird thing to ask for. I don't know what nefarious thing they want to do with this information, but I'm pretty sure it must be nefarious. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
martina_plaschka
Community Member

Aprille S wrote:

It is obviously not allowed for privacy reasons, plus it's a pretty weird thing to ask for. I don't know what nefarious thing they want to do with this information, but I'm pretty sure it must be nefarious. 

Thank you Martina! I also find it suspicious as I don't know what are they going to do with it. Could this client be reported or something?

Hi Aprille,

I've shared your concern with the team so we can review this further. If you'd like to share more information, please feel free to send me a PM by clicking on my name. Thank you. 

~ Joanne
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members